How To Fix Spindles

Status
Not open for further replies.

devino246

Official DIYGK Chem Nerd
Reaction score
When those crappy, paper thin nylon spacers wear out, you have 2 choices, order new nylon spacers online, or improvise like I did.

Tools you'll need:
Hacksaw
Flat file
Round file
Pointed punch
Small ball peen hammer
Grease gun
Welder
Grinder
Drill & 1/2in bit

Supplies:
2-1/2in ID brass bushings
2-1/2in grade 8 bolts
2-1/2in lock nuts
2 grease zerks
drill bit & tap for zerks

Step 1: Cut each of the bronze bushings in half and smooth the ends with a file.

Step 2: Insert one of your grade 8 bolts into one of your bushings and clamp in a vise.

Step 3: Make 5 or 6 divots in the bushing with your pointed punch. This expands the edge of the bushing so It'll fit tightly into your spindle.

Step 4: Tap the bushings into each side of your 2 spindles.

Step 5: Close up the hole on the spindles with a weld bead. Its best to weld a plate over the hole, but Im lazy. Make sure you close it up evenly, so as not to mess up your steering geometry. I needed a little negative camber, so I welded them unevenly.

Step 6: Grind the top and bottom of the beads down so its flush.

Step 7: Drill the closed up holes with a 1/2in drill bit.

Step 8: Add the grease zerks(I had already done this).

Step 9: Assemble your spindles and pump grease into them until it oozes out the bottom. Its takes a little less than 3 pumps with my gun.

And now you have nice, tight spindles that'll last. Add an extra pump of grease every few hours of use.

Attachments

• 012211133152.jpg
    012211133152.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 76
  • downsize (4).jpg
    downsize (4).jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 76
  • downsize_1 (1).jpg
    downsize_1 (1).jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 76
  • 012211135550.jpg
    012211135550.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 78
  • downsize (3).jpg
    downsize (3).jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 72
  • downsize (2).jpg
    downsize (2).jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 72
  • downsize_1.jpg
    downsize_1.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 70
  • 012211141207.jpg
    012211141207.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 77

sideways

Unfinished projects king.
Reaction score
In place of the bronze bushings you used, I use nylon bushings from lawnmower axles (push mowers, that is). I get them off the old mowers I have but they cost $6 per pair at the mower shop I think. The nylon bushings can be expanded or shrunk so you can fit them to anything. :thumbsup:

Thanks

Hayden

Lynx_Genisys

Reaction score
on my dingo, the spindle part was ovaled out so bad the tire was laying inwards and rubbing the frame..

I just pulled it off, and welded 2 washers with holes the same size around as the bolt/pin on top n bottom of it.

eventualy they'll wear out again, but it'll take all of 15 mins to pull it apart again, zip off the washers and replace and have it back together :D

electrowizard

Reaction score
Question - will the top bushing ever fall down along the kingpin? i.e. will the dimples you put in last for a long time? I am thinking of using this technique for both my kingpins and my steering column.
Thanks

devino246

Official DIYGK Chem Nerd
Reaction score
Question - will the top bushing ever fall down along the kingpin? i.e. will the dimples you put in last for a long time? I am thinking of using this technique for both my kingpins and my steering column.
Thanks

It got mine to fit pretty snug so it shouldnt.

Status
Not open for further replies.