How to Assemble A Roller Chain Master Link

Status
Not open for further replies.

KartFab

Reaction score
This short article will show you how to install a roller chain master link and orient the retaining clip correctly. This is for your standard go kart roller chain (non-o-ring).

1. Line up the chain ends on the axle sprocket.
  2. Install the plate with pins so the grooves in the pin ends are facing outward
  3. Install the non-pin plate
  4. Using a screwdriver, put pressure on the retaining clip so it snaps into the pin grooves. The closed end of the retaining clip should lead and the open end should trail as the chain travels around the sprockets (see video).

This is part of my grand scheme to make a little website, and I figured I would share it wherever I can to help out those that may need to assemble a master link on roller chain.

Attachments

• go-kart-master-link-clip-1024x768.jpg
    go-kart-master-link-clip-1024x768.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 6
  • installing-go-kart-master-link-clip-1024x768.jpg
    installing-go-kart-master-link-clip-1024x768.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 6
  • correct-orientation-of-master-link-clip-1024x768.jpg
    correct-orientation-of-master-link-clip-1024x768.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 8

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
Its the little things that make the big difference. Who knew it mattered which way the retainer went. but it does. Thanks for getting this info out there. cant wait to see the website.

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
Actually I just learned that last week when a member told a noob. That is why I like the idea of his videos, threads, and upcoming website. Put all the little hints in one place rather than searching all of utube and this forum.

2SlickNick

American Minibikes @ FB
Reaction score
Nice!
I have been putting a dab of JB weld on my retAinter clip lately. Just for my own peace of mind, ever since I got stranded with chain popping off at the master link once.

ResetBTTN

Reaction score
Good post. I've always known closed end is the direction of travel....and needle nose pliers are my on and off tool.

BirdFanatic

Reaction score
This short article will show you how to install a roller chain master link and orient the retaining clip correctly. This is for your standard go kart roller chain (non-o-ring).

1. Line up the chain ends on the axle sprocket.
  2. Install the plate with pins so the grooves in the pin ends are facing outward
  3. Install the non-pin plate
  4. Using a screwdriver, put pressure on the retaining clip so it snaps into the pin grooves. The closed end of the retaining clip should lead and the open end should trail as the chain travels around the sprockets (see video).

This is part of my grand scheme to make a little website, and I figured I would share it wherever I can to help out those that may need to assemble a master link on roller chain.

Now all you have to do is make an easy video of taking the pins out of the chain without a chain breaker the old fashioned way with a vise,hammer and pic or small screw driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.