Honda Gx160 Voltage regulator

fhr

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a Honda GX160 engine with an electric starte. I want to cahrge the battery when the engine is running. The motor does have a single starting coil, so one phase. The problem is that at higher RPM I´m meassuring a voltage of 30 Volts DC at the Battery terminals.

The voltage is rectified by a single diode, don`t I also need some form of regualtor to keep my battery from being destroyed?

Thank you for helping!

Ps: I´m kind of new to this stuff so don´t be to harsh on me :p

anderkart

Reaction score
The Honda single-wire charge coils don't have or need a voltage regulator/rectifier, they have a very low 3-amp DC output and only require an in-line diode to keep the charging coil from causing a parasitic drain on the battery.

It's totally normal for them to read extremely high output voltage like that when NOT connected to a battery. An old fashion trickle battery charger that plugs into the wall would give similar output voltage readings when not connected to a battery... They both need a battery to self-regulate output voltage.

But when your correctly functioning charging coil is connected to a fully charged battery (that has a static voltage reading somewhere around 12.3 volt range with engine shut off), you should expect the battery's voltage readings to just slightly increase to somewhere in the 12.4-volt to 13-volt range (and to never increase to more than 14.5-volts) with the engine running at full speed.