Honda GX 160

Trgglynn

Reaction score
Hey all,
I just bought a Honda GX160 and realized the crank does not have a key way. What’s the best way to get a clutch onto this crank? It’s a 3/4” shaft with I believe 1/2” threads on the last 1/2” of the shaft.

Karts of Kaos

the many mowers guy
Reaction score
it would be less hassle to get a new crank, because of the threaded bit at the end. also that shaft looks a bit short.

Kartorbust

Reaction score
Are cranks hard to change on these?
Would it be possible to grind in a key way?
I don’t want to take it to a machine shop or anything, I would probably just do it slowly with a die grinder.

It's not terribly hard. Just go slow. The kit I linked has a complete gasket set. It'll probably take a couple hours your first time. You'll want to follow proper torque procedures and specs. You can find videos on YouTube on how to do this to help walk you through it. Just look up the torque specs and the videos will help you along.

Trgglynn

Reaction score
IMO it will be easier buying a new crank and installing. You might need a new side cover too, but I'm not too sure about that
I think so. I want to go with OEM parts. So I got looking into it, and I have my serial number but it did not register in Honda’s website for serial lookup. It’s GCAAK-1572150.
Is there a way to lookup more specific details as to what crank I need?
Also, do I need a new rod? It doesn’t seem like there are bearings on these.
And how about wrist pin/piston since I’m going to be in there anyway?