Home made seat mount fuel tank for my American Express

cheap_thrills

Reaction score
Had a 4" piece of exhaust pipe lying around from my old Superduty, and a belt guard to a gas powered air compressor. So I took the liberty of fabing up a seat mounted tank for my recently acquired American Express ( check out my steering fix on a previous post). I cleaned all the dirt off the pipe and honed the inside for those who may be wondering lol. I got about halfway done when the wife yelled down to stop grinding lol (kids were going to bed). To be continued tomorrow, where I'll cannibalizing an old junk Briggs tank to for the fuel spout and cap. Stay tuned...

Attachments

• scrap metal.jpg
    scrap metal.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
  • tankless GX160.jpg
    tankless GX160.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
  • .25 inch NPT bung.jpg
    .25 inch NPT bung.jpg
    1,019 KB · Views: 9
  • fuel tank 1_2 way.jpg
    fuel tank 1_2 way.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
This is my solution for my kart. Got an old Clinton tank of the ol' Ebay and mounted it up. Mostly bolt on in fact.

20190923_122218.jpg

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Yeah, that tank was $50, but it was clean, and it even has a built in fuel filter, so could discard the dumb looking plastic fuel filter! :wai:
Functionally, it needs work, as it's kind of awkward to unscrew the fuel cap and it vibrates a bit since the mount is less than optimal. But hey, I made it work, and it's way better than the massive ugly lawn mower gas tank it had before!
user32585_pic8791_1556895294.jpg

cheap_thrills

Reaction score
Yeah, that tank was $50, but it was clean, and it even has a built in fuel filter, so could discard the dumb looking plastic fuel filter! :wai:
Functionally, it needs work, as it's kind of awkward to unscrew the fuel cap and it vibrates a bit since the mount is less than optimal. But hey, I made it work, and it's way better than the massive ugly lawn mower gas tank it had before!
View attachment 123342
Nice! Yeh, I'm going to do some digging later and see if I can source a filter/petcock that would thread into 1/4" NPT. If not, then just the generic plastic jobbers of each it will be.

cheap_thrills

Reaction score
Here she is mounted. Not going to lie, did not like welding the sheet metal from the old Briggs tank, I dipped in in my ultrasonic cleaner first, then wire wheels it to bare metal, but it still did not like being welded on. So no close ups on my welds lol. But did a leak test, and it passed:cornut:. Time to run and get some fuel line

Attachments

• fuel tank installed.jpg
    fuel tank installed.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3