Hollow axles vs solid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kartorbust

Reaction score
There is a thread on here from a number of years ago asking about chromoly hollow axles vs solid aluminum axles, however no one asked about solid steel axles vs chromoly hollow axles. I've seen how much aluminum axles will flex under use and will bend (as well as steel) under abuse.

When I build my Sprint kart this next spring (hopefully) I'm looking at maybe getting a hollow chromoly axle vs solid steel. Namely to save a bit on weight. Far as I've seen for sale, the chromoly hollow axles come in .120" thick and .190". Would these be just as durable than a solid steel axle as well as saving some weight? Obviously I'm not a kart racer, even though it'd be fun. I'm just asking for input from those who have either tried both and done an evaluation of which works better than the other.

anderkart

Reaction score
The purpose of all those different types of Sprintkart Axles isn't so much a weight saving or durability preference, it's simply that some types of axles are designed to flex more while corning, and other types flex less, and these different types are chosen to fine-tune tire grip and the overall handling characteristics of the kart.

You'll find lots more info at these sites: https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=kart+axle+hard+or+soft

But I'd suggest you get the .190" hollow chromoly axle, that's typically considered a medium-flex type of axle and a good choice for Sprintkarts :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.