Help with a Chi-kuni swap

gegcorp2012

Reaction score
Working on rainy day projects and decided to try to install a 23mm Chinese Mikuni swap onto my stage 1 Predator 212.

First issue out of the box is the carb flange bolt holes are threaded.

Next, I take off the stock (but jetted and working) carb and see that the bolt holes on the Chi-Kuni are wider than the pattern at the Predator intake port.

20201010_155911.jpg 20201010_161817.jpg
20201010_161921.jpg

I know the stock studs will have to come out, but what's the deal...
a) did I get the wrong carb
b) do I need some kind of intake pipe to adapt the two patterns ?
c) do I drill the carb flanges out and epoxy as needed ?

<edit> I went back in my purchase history and see I ordered a carb for the wrong engine... its a PZ20 for a 110cc engine. Probably too small to use on the 212.

Screenshot_20201010-165253.jpg
It was cheap but my hasty click-shopping has cost me money since I have to go backwards or wait on a new one.

Last edited:

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
That thing should be plenty of carb for a 212, but you will need to fab up an intake.

Possom Point

Reaction score
You need this manifold or figure out how to make one, the studs come out very easily. Tighten the nuts all the way down on the studs, use a pair of pliers(channel locks) hold the smooth section of the stud. Reverse the direction of the wrench or socket ( taking it off) and grab the Stud at the same time with pliers The studs will come off. Remember. Easy does it. If it doesn’t move. Maybe use some PB blaster or WD. Usually you won’t have to. I have a 22mm “mikuni” on my 212. Works very nicely 😎😎😎

gegcorp2012

Reaction score
Thanks @possum point.

I ordered a manifold (with a billet bottle opener) and it came in a couple days ago.

Was it easy to convert the plain throttle cable ?
Did you use an aluminum ferrule or switch cables ?
How about the return spring for the pedal ?
I will need to have a plan for these items before I take it apart again.

Possom Point

Reaction score
Thanks @possum point.

I ordered a manifold (with a billet bottle opener) and it came in a couple days ago.

Was it easy to convert the plain throttle cable ?
Did you use an aluminum ferrule or switch cables ?
How about the return spring for the pedal ?
I will need to have a plan for these items before I take it apart again.
Depending on what go kart you have. You can buy a throttle cable with a loop at 1 end that goes around the bolt at the gas peddle and on the opposite end there is a small piece of lead or cast metal that hooks into the slide on the carb. Most go kart peddles have a “return type spring” on the brake peddle and gas peddle that bolts to the frame. I made my own cable for 1 go kart. Wasn’t that easy of a task. Tig welding 3/32” cable can be cumbersome with out patience.