HELP…I NEED EITHER A CLUTCH, SPROCKET OR AXLE

Roundgunner

Reaction score
I’m in the process of bringing a go cart back to life for my granddaughter. It was junked and thrown behind my friends house. My best guess is that it’s made by Lance, imported as Coolster Challenger machines. I do a lot of favors for friends so quite a few have given me parts. I have a hardly used 212 Predator, and a brand new clutch that fits it. The chain for clutch is 41 or 420. The sprocket on axle is a 50.

Also when I was eyeballing in how the engine would fit over the sprocket and planning a motor mount I found that the shaft turned the wrong way for my plans. New plan time. The rear disk won’t be used anyhow so I took the caliper off and started pulling the axle to reverse it. It’s old and rusty, hard to get apart. I finally got it off without breaking anything but not the fittings on the mounts. It has sleeves on it that I haven’t destroyed by trying to get them off in hopes of being able to not replace it. It didn’t matter until I realized the sprocket needed to come off. It wont go over the mount/bearing, I could cut it but no way to get new one on. Looked at a 2 piece but I didn’t see anything that would bolt to this mount. I looked for a 50 clutch, can’t find one. I looked at axles (expensive) but saw nothing that looked like this yet, these mounts are 24” apart.

The bottom line for now is I need to do one of the following;

Get a #50 chain clutch with ¾ shaft

Get a 41 or 420 sprocket that will mount to the axle

Get an axle with a 41 or 420 sprocket with mounts like this or at least in the 24” range so I can modify the mounts.

Thanks for any help.
Warren

Attachments

• 20220916_143059.jpg
    20220916_143059.jpg
    851 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220916_143125.jpg
    20220916_143125.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 9
  • 20220916_143210.jpg
    20220916_143210.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 9
  • 20220916_143252.jpg
    20220916_143252.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 10
  • 20220916_143556.jpg
    20220916_143556.jpg
    860 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220916_143644.jpg
    20220916_143644.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • 20220916_143706.jpg
    20220916_143706.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
  • 20220916_143743.jpg
    20220916_143743.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
  • 20220916_143809.jpg
    20220916_143809.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 8
  • 20220916_143829.jpg
    20220916_143829.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 8

Roundgunner

Reaction score
I was really hoping someone here would know where to get a clutch or parts for this cart. Anyone have a parts list/catalog for this? Ever take one apart?

Attachments

• 20220817_190853.jpg
    20220817_190853.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 6
  • 20220913_151412.jpg
    20220913_151412.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6

karl

Reaction score
For those size tires on a heavy off road kart, you need a torque converter not a centrifugal clutch.

The original motor had internal gear reduction , so that's why the rear sprocket is so small.
Even with a torque converter, the gear ratio will not be adequate for the 212cc. No bolt on, off the shelf sprocket will fix this.

So your looking at buying a torque converter, and adapting a 60t minimal or preferably larger #40 sprocket to fit the axle,
Or making a jackshaft to compound the gear ratios with a #40 input sprocket, and # 50 output to fit your current rear sprocket.

Parts are all over the internet, but I suspect this is a bit more of a project that you anticipated.

panchothedog

Reaction score
Do you know the diameter of your axle. There are tons of parts available for a
1" axle . You will never find anything for a # 50 sprocket or chain. As mentioned
by Karl you need a torque converter, not a centrifugal clutch. If your axle is not
a 1" piece it is going to be hard to find a hub, or carrier onto which to mount the # 420 series X 60 tooth sprocket you need to buy. If that is the case it might
be easier and maybe even cheaper to buy a complete 1" rear axle assembly or
kit . Either way you are looking at at least $120 to $200 in parts.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
You have your work cut out for you and it ain’t going to be exactly cheap. But it will be cheaper than trying to go with what you have. First your going to need to measure the axle from end to end to get the correct length measurement. Go to go power sports and order the same length axle in 1” with 3/4” stepped ends. Then order the correct hubs for the axle. The axle will come with the correct slot for keyways. Then order the correct sprocket and brake disc, bearings with retainers. Now comes the big problem for that heavy kart you will need a CVT. The problem is there is no 40 series to fit a 212, and a 30 series is too light to move that much weight and tire size. That means you will need to step up to an engine with a 1” out put shaft, which means a bigger engine to fit a 40 series CVT.

Roundgunner

Reaction score
Thanks. No offense Denny but I don't want to go to the expense of a new engine. I don't want this to go fast, she will think it's fast at any speed for the first year riding by herself anyway. I guess I'm going to look for a TC and the largest sprocket I can fit.

I will soak the end of my axle in a diesel ATF mix then try again to get it apart. Karl, you are correct, it is turning into more than expected. One of my problems is during the rust clean up and repainting project I need to keep reminding myself this is not a 65 Mustang and good is good enough...

This is my 48 Jeepster. I always seem to get to particular with fixes.

Attachments

• DSC_0030f cropped.jpg
    DSC_0030f cropped.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 3
  • DSC_0001f.jpg
    DSC_0001f.jpg
    11 MB · Views: 3

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Cool jeepster! No offense taken or intended. And I hope you don’t get offended. But back when my ex girlfriend and her kids still lived with me (4 girls) I bought/built them a Gokart. I put a 11 hp Briggs on it and geared it 22 mph max. At the end of the first day of riding they all were complaining it was too slow! Even the 6 year old! All 4 girls would not let up on me until the new sprocket came in and bigger tires came next with a torque converter. Then a new axle because they built a ramp and we’re jumping it when I was at work. When they got done with that lid Ken-Bar Streaker the only thing worth saving was the engine, the one piece they didn’t destroy. Everything else was either bent or broken.
Girls can be just as adventurous and destructive as boys. Don’t be lured into a false sense of security by the fact they are girls! Amazingly enough the 6 year old was the “ Chief Instigator” and she could barely reach the pedals! To this day she has little fear. If it’s too slow or too under powered they will loose interest quickly. If it breaks down all the time that’s even worse. Build it right, you’ll only build it once.
Just my experience.
Your mileage may vary.
Tax, title and destination charges not included.
Objects in mirror are closer than they appear.

panchothedog

Reaction score
Nice Jeepster. I love it. I used to play with old cars, and 1/4 mile cars even a little bit after retirement. Now the smaller cars ( karts ) and smaller amounts of money needed to play with them fits my lifestyle perfectly. As for the rear axle follow Denny' s advice to the letter. And his comments about the Girls being at
least as aggressive as the boys is SO true. Two Grandsons, 16 & 18, three
Granddaughters, 9, 13, and 15. The 15 year old thinks she is Danica Patrick.
hard on gas, 100% of the time. On torque converters I am going to disagree with Denny just a tiny bit, a 30 series will hold up. Plus you have no choice.
Your engine has a 3/4" output shaft and that is the most robust one available.
All of my karts ( 4 ) are big two seater 's like yours, running 18" to 20" tires .
3 of the 4 have 212cc or 196cc engines and use the 30 series torque converters with no issues. How tall are your rear tires? When you buy the converter it will come with a 10 tooth sprocket. Mated to a 60 tooth sprocket on the axle is IDEAL gearing most all situations. If your tires are taller ( 22 ) or you want more power and less top speed, it is much easier and cheaper to change the drive sprocket to a 9 tooth or even 8 tooth and leave the axle sprocket alone.

panchothedog

Reaction score
Got kinda long winded there but wanted to add one more thing. It looks like the kart had a roll cage. Did you remove it? Do you have it? If yo don't, you should either fabricate or have a shop build you one. With those nice big tall
seats, and a set of combo seat belt - shoulder harness AND a roll cage the added degree safety is priceless. I 'm sure I don't need to preach to you about
just how precious Grandchildren are.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
We are not out to spend your money. Quite the opposite actually. We’re trying to teach you from our past mistakes. We made them and we paid the price, please learn from them.
Also to get that axle apart you will need to sand it clean and use a hydraulic press to get it apart. Heat and beat will not work on that axle.

Roundgunner

Reaction score
Cool jeepster! No offense taken or intended. And I hope you don’t get offended. But back when my ex girlfriend and her kids still lived with me (4 girls) I bought/built them a Gokart. I put a 11 hp Briggs on it and geared it 22 mph max. At the end of the first day of riding they all were complaining it was too slow! Even the 6 year old! All 4 girls would not let up on me until the new sprocket came in and bigger tires came next with a torque converter. Then a new axle because they built a ramp and we’re jumping it when I was at work. When they got done with that lid Ken-Bar Streaker the only thing worth saving was the engine, the one piece they didn’t destroy. Everything else was either bent or broken.
Girls can be just as adventurous and destructive as boys. Don’t be lured into a false sense of security by the fact they are girls! Amazingly enough the 6 year old was the “ Chief Instigator” and she could barely reach the pedals! To this day she has little fear. If it’s too slow or too under powered they will loose interest quickly. If it breaks down all the time that’s even worse. Build it right, you’ll only build it once.
Just my experience.
Your mileage may vary.
Tax, title and destination charges not included.
Objects in mirror are closer than they appear.
Point taken. She is fearless. SCUBA diving at 5 years old. Is there a link to try to estimate gear ratio input and output? The TC I think I'm going to get is a Comet clone the pulley ratio range is 2.7:1 (low) to 0.90:1 (high). I don't know the rear tire size off the top of my head but I think they are at least 24" tall.

Attachments

• PICT0057.JPG
    PICT0057.JPG
    1,022.4 KB · Views: 1
  • PICT0062.JPG
    PICT0062.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 1

panchothedog

Reaction score
Quite an amazing young lady. I'm sure she's ready to drive that kart. Come on Grandpa. Your rear tires have three numbers on them. The first and largest number is
the diameter. Plus we already know you own a tape measure, you posted a picture in your first post. Just about all of the torque converters are the same ratio. They come with a 6" driven clutch . You can buy a 7" driven clutch and it will give you a little lower gear ratio, but then you have to buy a bigger belt. Cheaper and more effective to put on a smaller drive sprocket. Does the same thing, lowers the gear ratio.

Roundgunner

Reaction score
Got kinda long winded there but wanted to add one more thing. It looks like the kart had a roll cage. Did you remove it? Do you have it? If yo don't, you should either fabricate or have a shop build you one. With those nice big tall
seats, and a set of combo seat belt - shoulder harness AND a roll cage the added degree safety is priceless. I 'm sure I don't need to preach to you about
Yes I have the roll cage. I had to take it off to get it home in my truck. I'm fixing the rust and painting before I put it back on.

Attachments

• 20220817_132740.jpg
    20220817_132740.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 3
  • 20220817_193423.jpg
    20220817_193423.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
I’m impressed! You have an adventurous one there, which is bad for you. :lolgoku:
But it is great for her! The Comet clones on Amazon are fine, all Comet parts interchange with them. Never had a problem with them nor have I heard of one. Except you must promise us never ever to use a Chineseum belt! Promise! They are made of pvc vinyl and boiled yakk grease or something. Use only a Genuine Comet belt. Max-Torque, and Dayco make a great belts also. The Chinese belts are cheaper, but you’ll go through 10 of them for every 1 Comet belt. False economy to the max and you’ll junk up the clutch with belt debris.

Roundgunner

Reaction score
Quite an amazing young lady. I'm sure she's ready to drive that kart. Come on Grandpa. Your rear tires have three numbers on them. The first and largest number is
the diameter. Plus we already know you own a tape measure, you posted a picture in your first post. Just about all of the torque converters are the same ratio. They come with a 6" driven clutch . You can buy a 7" driven clutch and it will give you a little lower gear ratio, but then you have to buy a bigger belt. Cheaper and more effective to put on a smaller drive sprocket. Does the same thing, lowers the gear ratio.
She is my frog girl. I swear she spends more time under the water than on top.
I have to replace the sprocket on the axle anyway because it's a 50. I can go look at those tires in the morning, it's been a long hard day so far.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
GoKart Supply has a gear ratio calculator and you can plug in tire size also. It looks like you have 20x8x8, 22x11x8 or 22x11x10 rear tires, one of those sizes. A 60 tooth rear sprocket and a 10 tooth drive sprocket should get you where you want to go, 6:1.

Roundgunner

Reaction score
I’m impressed! You have an adventurous one there, which is bad for you. :lolgoku:
But it is great for her! The Comet clones on Amazon are fine, all Comet parts interchange with them. Never had a problem with them nor have I heard of one. Except you must promise us never ever to use a Chineseum belt! Promise! They are made of pvc vinyl and boiled yakk grease or something. Use only a Genuine Comet belt. Max-Torque, and Dayco make a great belts also. The Chinese belts are cheaper, but you’ll go through 10 of them for every 1 Comet belt. False economy to the max and you’ll junk up the clutch with belt debris.
Thanks for the heads up on that. I have wasted A ton of money in my life on things that weren't worth what the box to ship them cost. I'm a photographer, my equipment cost more than I made for years so I had to buy lenses that were not Nikon, some were good and some were unacceptable. I had a few I gave away because I couldn't in good conscious sell them. I have been at it full time for 34 years now but the first 5-6 were tough! I have been lucky though, and we made it thru Covid!

FlyFrog

Reaction score
I’m in the process of bringing a go cart back to life for my granddaughter. It was junked and thrown behind my friends house. My best guess is that it’s made by Lance, imported as Coolster Challenger machines. I do a lot of favors for friends so quite a few have given me parts. I have a hardly used 212 Predator, and a brand new clutch that fits it. The chain for clutch is 41 or 420. The sprocket on axle is a 50.

Also when I was eyeballing in how the engine would fit over the sprocket and planning a motor mount I found that the shaft turned the wrong way for my plans. New plan time. The rear disk won’t be used anyhow so I took the caliper off and started pulling the axle to reverse it. It’s old and rusty, hard to get apart. I finally got it off without breaking anything but not the fittings on the mounts. It has sleeves on it that I haven’t destroyed by trying to get them off in hopes of being able to not replace it. It didn’t matter until I realized the sprocket needed to come off. It wont go over the mount/bearing, I could cut it but no way to get new one on. Looked at a 2 piece but I didn’t see anything that would bolt to this mount. I looked for a 50 clutch, can’t find one. I looked at axles (expensive) but saw nothing that looked like this yet, these mounts are 24” apart.

The bottom line for now is I need to do one of the following;

Get a #50 chain clutch with ¾ shaft

Get a 41 or 420 sprocket that will mount to the axle

Get an axle with a 41 or 420 sprocket with mounts like this or at least in the 24” range so I can modify the mounts.

Thanks for any help.
Warren
the shaft shouldnt turn the wrong way, you may have to turn the engine to face the other direction and put the sprocket on the side of the engine mount

FlyFrog

Reaction score
I 100% agree, i recently rolled my gocart and the dinky roll cage bent out of the way and threw me out of the cart, got lucky the cart didnt land on me, and my grandpa said if im going to be doing stuff that sketchy to put a strong rollcage and seat belt, at least a lap belt. the go cart is now my winter project wheels bent axels bent, a bent hub and of course the roll bar

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Relax frog, a Frog is a nickname us old guys give to a scuba diver. (Roundgunner he’s only 14) don’t need to impress the little girl. We’re here for the karts. And his engine is fine and turns the right way.