Help: Fabricating front brakes for Arachnid/Granddaddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kentguy13

Reaction score
Hello all. I am nearing the finish line on the Grand daddy build and wanted to put some front brakes on it. I can’t seem to find a spindle that would work with my application or a wheel hub that would fit the front rotor and onto the standard 5/8” x 6” spindle.

Has anyone else put front brakes on the Archnid or Granddaddy? If so, how?

What I have:
4x4 heavy duty hub with 5/8” bearings.
4B7233F1-1C38-40DB-B10D-D75D8FB42C89.jpeg

Hammerhead calipers and rotors.
6110F662-EB8B-4296-AE13-B3687E375A60.jpeg

Standard 5/8” x 6” spindle
CD680901-1B37-49B8-B23F-2063D4774AA5.jpeg

Standard golf cart tire and rim
DFF3F2FF-F67A-4DAD-BE22-B7805FB94E3D.jpeg

karl

Reaction score
Fabricating is right.

You have to make it work if you want it to!

The hubs you have are not very helpful.

A duel flange hub is what you need, but finding a 4 on 4 is rather difficult. Again, fabrication.

Knowing the bolt pattern on the rotors will help.

5/8 spindles, 18in tires, big heavy kart, front brakes, does not sound very solid.

Those spindles are normally used on a single beam frame with 4-6in rims, never intended to stop the kart. They might hold, probally not.

Kentguy13

Reaction score
Fabricating is right.

You have to make it work if you want it to!

The hubs you have are not very helpful.

A duel flange hub is what you need, but finding a 4 on 4 is rather difficult. Again, fabrication.

Knowing the bolt pattern on the rotors will help.

5/8 spindles, 18in tires, big heavy kart, front brakes, does not sound very solid.

Those spindles are normally used on a single beam frame with 4-6in rims, never intended to stop the kart. They might hold, probally not.

We are on the same page sir. Lol. I’m not opposed to buying new parts, but sadly I can’t even find any to buy. The Hammerhead strut is 17”, and that will not work with my kart. Their hub has the smaller bolt pattern, which doesn’t sound like it would be any better for my size kart.

I guess I’ll wait till the weather warms up a little and spend a few days in the garage to make my own.

I will have a larger back caliper/disc on this thing too, but I didn’t think that would be enough. I’d like front also.

mckutzy

Reaction score
This is the typical setup on a gokart that has front brakes...
They have this setup as the rotor and caliper cannot fit in the rim back space..
This is why most karts/buggies don have them as it is hard to fabricate and setup...

Joe-405

Enjoying New Projects
Reaction score
4 on 4 equals golf cart front brakes. Unless you fabricate your own stuff.

Kentguy13

Reaction score
I found a China brand that could work. Might require different rims/tires, but if I don’t have to fabricate a new hub I’d be willing to change the front wheels.

BC4AAE7B-9E74-4426-8694-DCE9EF7168C9.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.