Hell-raiser 72V Electric Racing Kart

Functional Artist

Reaction score
When doin' "mock ups" or checking for fitment or just general assembly, I always use standard nuts on the bolts
...because it's easier ta put 'em together & take 'em apart 100 times :thumbsup:

General Assembly
SAM_4525 (1).JPG

Then, for final assembly I always use loc-nuts
...because they "grip" the bolt & won't vibrate loose

Final Assembly
SAM_4526 (1).JPG

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Still finding stuff that needs "finished" before other things can be "finished" :huh:

Like, when I went ta assemble the brake system & found that I hadn't painted (1) of the little connectors

So, a little smoothin'
...& a little cleanin'
...& then, a little paintin'
SAM_4528 (1).JPG
or like...

I rounded up some Allen head bolts ta bolt the Ackermann adapter brackets onto the spindles
...but, they weren't very pretty
...so, I had ta "freshen" 'em up a bit

* That loose bolt is what they previously looked like
SAM_4527 (1).JPG
** Also, everything got so dusty (while I was doin' other stuff)
...& now Ima gonna have ta give everything a good cleaning before final assembly ;)

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Um...I guess in all of the excitement, I got ahead of myself :wai:

After installing the steering components, I just had ta adjust the spindles, ta be, "toe'd in" just a bit (~1/8") :thumbsup:
SAM_4535 (1).JPG
I first used a straight edge, ta square 'em up
...then, just adjusted 'em "in" a bit (technical term) 😎
SAM_4543.JPG
* Notice the Ackermann brackets? ...& the "imaginary line" that runs from the king pin
...thru the tie rod end
...& back to, the center of, the rear axle? ;)

** No the pedals ain't crooked
...it's the camera angle 🤣

Functional Artist

Reaction score
I also had ta make up a pedal stop for the throttle pedal ;)

So, when the accelerator was "floored"
...the thumb throttle wouldn't get "over exerted" :thumbsup:
SAM_4539 (1).JPG
Then, when released
...the pedal wouldn't "flop back" (technical term) too far :cheers2:
SAM_4538 (1).JPG
That'll keep that pedal "operating within specified parameters" :2guns:

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Before installing the rear wheels, I made up a couple of "spacers" (a piece of steel tube with an ID a little bit bigger than 1" ta slide over the axle)
...& put 'em in-between the wheel & sprocket or bearing or rotor etc. :thumbsup:
SAM_4545.JPG
These simple & low cost "spacers" keep the components in place, without needing any type of "locking devices" clamped on/to the axle ;)
SAM_4546.JPG

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Just ta "see" I mounted one of those little (~1.2HP) 48V 1,000W MY-1020 motors on 'er 😅

The motor has a 10T Power Curve sprocket on it (drive)
...& we have a 48T sprocket on the axle (driven)
...for a 4.8:1 gear ratio ;)
SAM_4356.JPG
Ok now, it looks like were about "ready ta roll" :thumbsup:
SAM_4550.JPG

Functional Artist

Reaction score
So, just ta do the "math"
...ta estimate the potential speed ;)

Ballpark Equation
MS/GR=ASxTC=IM/FT=FMxHR=FHxMM= MPH

Motor Speed/Gear Ratio=Axle Speed x Tire Circumference = Inches per Minute traveled/Foot(12) = Feet per Minute traveled x Hour(60) = Feet per Hour traveled x MPH Multiplier(.000189) = Miles Per Hour

If the motor does 3,000 RPM's
& were running a 4.8:1 gear ratio
& the tires are ~40" cir.

Then, it would look like:
3,000/4.8 = 625 (axle speed)
625 x 40 = 25,000 (inches per min traveled)
25,000/12 = 2,083.33 (feet per min traveled)
2,083 x 60 = 124,999.99 (feet per hour traveled)
124,999 x .000189 = 23.62 MPH

Well, let's see what she can do :thumbsup:

redflash

Reaction score
I used a 48 volt motor 1800watts. 27 mph.... 1 to 6 gearing ( I weigh 215).....fryed a motor. Got another motor and covered it with heat sinks, and it did better, changed gear to 1/7 ( lost 4-6 mph).....great for 100 grandson, but no damn good for 215 lb. adult......my personal conclusion is that these 48 volt 2000 and less watt motors are just recreational only for small kids.....not much fun for adults and don't last very long. Now the $600 motors ad $600 controllers , I can see the fun in that.....but again in my opinion too much money for the fun factor,
For $350 I bought a harbor freight 420cc gas motor, put a cam, removed governor, upgraded valve train....
now that's fun.......The tesla idea just doesn't do it for me any more.....nice concept,,,,,don't fly. ( my opinion)

Functional Artist

Reaction score
I used a 48 volt motor 1800watts. 27 mph.... 1 to 6 gearing ( I weigh 215).....fryed a motor. Got another motor and covered it with heat sinks, and it did better, changed gear to 1/7 ( lost 4-6 mph).....great for 100 grandson, but no damn good for 215 lb. adult......my personal conclusion is that these 48 volt 2000 and less watt motors are just recreational only for small kids.....not much fun for adults and don't last very long. Now the $600 motors ad $600 controllers , I can see the fun in that.....but again in my opinion too much money for the fun factor,
For $350 I bought a harbor freight 420cc gas motor, put a cam, removed governor, upgraded valve train....
now that's fun.......The tesla idea just doesn't do it for me any more.....nice concept,,,,,don't fly. ( my opinion)
Thanks for the reply :thumbsup: (it gets lonely talkin' to yourself) :lolgoku:

Um...how much did ya have into it (total) with all of the "upgrades"?
...& in the end, that would be (what like) ~15HP?

I just wanted ta see what this (less than 1.5HP) motor would/could do, on this kart
...& now we can use the data, to compare with the next (5,000W ~6.5HP) motor ;)

Speakin' of data
I noticed, in the video @ 1.39-1.40 mark that the energy meter shows the "load" (1,000W motor)
...as 5,186W
...& drawing 108A 🙃

* Normally a/this 1,000W motor, when ran at 48V, should draw ~20A
(1,000W/48V = 20.83A)

Even while just crusin' along (@26 MPH) the "load" registered as ~1,500W +
...& was drawin' over 30A

** Ima thinkin' the "donuts" done 'er in
...gotta stay away from them donuts 🤣

JK, Ima always thurstin' for info
...& learnin' as I go :cheers2:
...& (hopefully) everyone is enjoying the ride :auto:

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
I hope folks have told you that you do beautiful work. That project can be sold as factory top-of-line, nobody needs to know it's 1 of 1. Hmmm, maybe that would get the price up.
Of course, if you can keep it and still keep building projects, so much the better. What do you have in your creation spot, a lathe maybe? Drill press, hydraulic bender, chopsaw, bench grinder, stick or TIG or MIG welder, to name a few I wish I had?

Functional Artist

Reaction score
I hope folks have told you that you do beautiful work. That project can be sold as factory top-of-line, nobody needs to know it's 1 of 1. Hmmm, maybe that would get the price up.
Of course, if you can keep it and still keep building projects, so much the better. What do you have in your creation spot, a lathe maybe? Drill press, hydraulic bender, chopsaw, bench grinder, stick or TIG or MIG welder, to name a few I wish I had?
Thanks Mad, (& everyone for their kind words) :thumbsup:
...I really appreciate it (love it) when the "craftsmanship" gets noticed :cheers2:

As for tools, (if ya follow along) you'd see that I don't use a lathe or nuthin fancy
...& create most of "My Metal" with low-cost Harbor Freight tools ;)

Wire welder ($200.00) (the pretty little green one)
Pipe bender ($70.00) (over 10 years old & still goin' strong)
Bench grinder ($?) (had 'er forever)
A couple of old Rockwell Cordless Drills ($150.00 years ago) (I drill a lot of holes)
A bench top Drill Press ($100.00) (a lot of holes)
(3) angle grinders (on sale $9.99 specials) (seems like my most used tools)

1 grinder has a cut-off wheel on it (for cuttin stuff "off")
...1 has a rough grinder "head" on it (for heavy material removal &/or "rough" grinding)
...& 1 has a 40 grit sanding disc (for light material removal & smoothin') :2guns:

Functional Artist

Reaction score
I took 'er for a ride ta collect some data :thumbsup:
...yea, that's it, I was collecting data :2guns:
SAM_4645.JPG

* Also, these (~$15.00) Zero Turn lawn mower tires seem ta be holdin' up pretty well too ;)
SAM_4652 (1).JPG