H-pattern shifter, soft relocation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dman

Reaction score
Somewhere between Jacksonville NC and Wilmington N
Sooo, ya, I'm trying to make things too hard on my self to make things easier later.

I have a three wheeler utility cart with a 4 or 5 speed manual transmission. The shifter apparently broke and was rebuilt by the previous owner, and it's far from great. I could just buy the replacement parts and not worry about my future plans until it's time to. But I would like to get an idea of what I need, and if it would be cheaper to fix up sooner.

I am planning on taking the front with the single wheel off and building a new front end that moves the driver to sitting on what is now the footwell. Part of the complexity of this build is that I want to be able to swap the front ends out but that's a scrapable idea.

Either way when I move the driver seat the controls will have to move too and the hardest of this is the shifter. It is currently ment to use solid linkage between the shifter and the trans. The shifter is just behind the motor, at the drivers hip and the driver sits above the motor. I don't think solid linkage will work when I move the driver seat, it would have to run up and over the motor or under the kart then up the side to the trans.

The only modular solution I can think of is 3 or 4 cables running from one square frame to the other to transfer the motions. Any improvement on this, or other ideas/existing products that can work?

(I apologize for any over explaining and lack of pictures)

Status
Not open for further replies.