GX390 on Manco Vortex- TC or clutch?

chimmike

Reaction score
So I have this stock older GX390 sitting around. I was going to sell it, but darnit, even after sitting over a month and a half, it fires up and purrs first pull.
The vortex has a 212 on it now and does fine with a 30 series clone...but space is at a premium and I think I'd need to go clutch for the 390 to best fit with the stock hex axle and sprocket.

Any suggestions?

Should be a better top speed out of the box than the predator on a header pipe/muffler, upgraded filter and jet, no? I mean, oodles more torque and HP. I have to count the axle sprocket though....

OPmini

moo
Reaction score
If you are running a clutch you WILL NEED a gear ratio of at least 6:1, otherwise, you will burn clutches instantly (I've done this with $150 clutches) so if you go the clutch route you have to build a jackshaft. As for the CVT option, I highly suggest the go power sports 40 series it's much better than the Chinese junk CVT's on ebay.

chimmike

Reaction score
So I'm gonna have to figure out a way to mount this thing and space appropriately for a torque converter and chain operation on the current sprocket/axle. OK!

chimmike

Reaction score
So jackshaft kits are easy to find. And thinking I could get a clutch and not have major fitment issues via doing a jackshaft, this seems like a good route. the problem is my axle sprocket...is a 7/8" hex manco axle. Trying to avoid replacing the whole axle setup just for a new sprocket.
I'll have to find a calculator once I locate a decent clutch to see what sprockets I need for the clutch and jackshaft.