GX390 Build

Mammoth

Reaction score
A mirror finish would look awesome except the flat surfaces are so large the suns reflection burns eyeballs out. Just the finish on it now is too much in the sun. I've polished enough aluminum to know its a lot of work, and you can't even touch it without leaving a mark. Lake water oxidized aluminum pretty quick. It wouldn't be the same after the first use.

I will probably end up painting it with a spray gun, but I can't get too carried away. If I make it nice I will freak out if I scratch or dent it, and I can't be tip toeing around where this is going.

It will be a bare bones build to keep the weight to a minimum. None of the extra stuff people put on. Anything extra will just make it sit lower in the water, hitting more rocks and causing more drag.

Ive been focusing on keeping it light weight from the start. All the bolts on the engine are either titanium or aluminum except the ones that have to be steel. I'm in decision weather or not I should install a smoke system because it will save a few pounds.

Bansil

Painter of gnomes....
Reaction score
Have you given it any thought to having it hard anodized? It can’t be that expensive.
Finding tanks setup to do hard anodize will be fun, I know Ken built the longest tanks East of the Mississippi maybe 10 years ago, because he got a flagpole contract. they where like 6 ft tall and 2 ft wide and 40 ft long, he sold the business maybe 5 years ago.

Mammoth

Reaction score
Spending a couple hours each day on the bodywork. It was pretty lumpy after assembly, but with lots of sanding and some hammering its starting to come around.