Gx200 leaking head gaskets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abtheman28

Reaction score
Hey guys, I now have a highly modified gx200 clone motor which has all race internals. I am also running a milled gx160 head for higher compression. The problem I am having is leaking head gaskets after a period of driving the kart hard. I started off using a genuine honda gasket which lasted quite a while and then changed to a 0.10 metal type gasket (single layer) which was a lot of fun using this with the higher compression but lasted one day of racing then it coughed and splattered and broke down on the side of the road. I pulled the head to find the gasket had not blown but had leaked and was obvious by the exhaust mark on gasket leading towards outer edge. I found a VHT head gasket cement which apparently can be used on all high performing motors and all different types of gaskets from metal to cork and was tested on huge HP motors in USA. Would this product be my best bet? I have also just ordered copper head gaskets from NR racing in the USA in the hope I don't have this problem again. Any info would be appreciated

Half-breeder

"Edit" button removed
Reaction score
Im sure you torqued the head bolts to spec(im assuming), but which spec... the clones spec or the GX160's?

IMO, it is possible that the milled area's/head, are not level/flat. If you can ensure its flat/level, then it probably is/has to be the torque of the bolts.

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
is it always in the same spot?

Naw....I'm sure he drives it....LOL....

That would be a dead giveaway though....I know he mentioned by the exhaust valve. ...and if he said what I think he did. ...I'm wondering if someone wasn't overzealous in trying to unshroud it....

Status
Not open for further replies.