Gx200 clone kick back on start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abtheman28

Reaction score
Hi all. I recently brought myself a brand new gx200 clone go kart. I did my research after being new to go karts and found out if I replace the valve springs with 18lb springs and use a billet rod and billet flywheel after removing the governor (which I've done all of the above) plus using a free flowing exhaust J pipe and .615 bored standard carb with a 140 emulsion tube and 0.37 main jet. The problem I have now is when I pull start the engine it savagely rips the cord out of my hand! Not all the time but maybe like the 3rd or 4th pull. I'm guessing cause of additional compression with the slightly longer rod would cause this problem? I have just installed a mild race cam and I have a milled gx160 head with stainless valves and chrome Molly pushrods, guide plate and billet rockers plus 26lb valves coming with increased lift. But now my guess is these additional add on performance parts will only pull the cord out of my hand even harder? If this is the case I'm guessing everyone who has a performance kart motor must use an electric start? Is it easy enough to install a starter motor on a gx200 clone motor? Any info would be appreciated as I like having 10 fingers!

anderkart

Reaction score
I'm guessing everyone who has a performance kart motor must use an electric start? Is it easy enough to install a starter motor on a gx200 clone motor? Any info would be appreciated as I like having 10 fingers!

Something easy that'd probably help is to rotate the engine backwards until you feel it coming up against the previous compression stroke. That way, you'll get some momentum built up before hitting the next compression stroke when pull starting.

You might find one of those bolt-on electric starters wouldn't have enough power to crank your engine. Did you have to remove the compression release when installing that race cam?

When I raced karts, most of the guys that ran modified GX200/clones used a Burris kart starter like the guy in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_HYqXC3AlI

Abtheman28

Reaction score
being new to go kart motors im guessing the compression release is the couple of small levers and spring in behind the cam gear? Yes it's there if thats what your talking about, and i had no problem installing the camshaft it slotted into place with ease. I think the cam is a BSP-2 cam (or at least thats what is stamped onto the cam gear). Thanks for the info i will give that a try once my new head and valve train arrives from the UK.

anderkart

Reaction score
Yes, that's your compression release. Your valve lash needs to be properly adjusted or the compression release wont function. Try re-adjusting your valve lash to your cams specs and see if its easier to pullstart.

Status
Not open for further replies.