Governor and B&S engine diagrams

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoAlterBridge

Reaction score
Hey,
I'm new here and I've been looking both here and other places online, and I can't find any good pics or even diagrams on B&S engines, preferably of the governor.
My engine is the exact 3 HP engine shown in the pics of the mini chopper project, except mines white. (Like it matters. lol.)
If anyone could give me some pics/diagrams of B&S engines or some good explenations on how to take the governor off of the engine I would like it alot. (I don't even know what the it looks like or where exactly is!!!)
Thanks alot.

P.S. Was the mini chopper project on the home page able to climb hills ok? just wondering what to expect since I have the same engine.

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
it'll climb a hill if you get it going super-fast! Preferably you have the "big" gas tank, which means that it has the "high speed" carburetor...

That carb responds a lot better. I've got a spare I could even ship you for cheap if not.

Anyway, the governor is inside the engine. See all those "extra" wires and cables that connect to the throttle on the carb? Governor stuff. To remove the gov, just remove the connecting linkages. I'll take photos if that doesn't make sense.

Best of luck!

GoAlterBridge

Reaction score
I think I understand now, not positive, but I think I know what you're talking about. Even so, pictures would help, if you don't mind showing me exactly what you mean.
Just wanted to let everyone know: I just got back from the weekly "dump run",
and the guys know that I'm on the lookout for engines and stuff, so they told me that there are 2 more engines "out back". I go out and look, and find them. One was to beatup and taken apart, as well as rusted to do anything with, (Or so my dad said.) but the outher looked in perfect condition. I took it home, and started it, using the ELECTRIC start. runs perfect. It has pulley on it that I am going to take off. It looks like atleast a 5 HP. probably a 6.5, maybe 8, I don't know. Anyways, I am extremely happy at finding a free, good working engine with a working electric start. Oh yeah, it's B&S, my favorite. If I can figure out how to post the pics of the mini chopper, I'll post some of the engine. I'm planning on using it on a go cart I might build next year, after we get a welder. Either that, or sell it. Probably not though.
Anyways, that's all I've got right now.

GoAlterBridge

Reaction score
:confused:
Got another question for you guys. How do you figure out an engines HP? the one I got yesterday doesn't have a number or tag of any kind on it, and it doesn't tell the HP. It does say that it has a 9.05 cubic inch displacement, though. (I'm like, well how does convert to HP? If it does.) thanks (again)

robin

Reaction score
first i would find out the make then find the modle number i have a 200cc bike it puts out 16hp whers my 8hp gocart engine 250cc so you cant realy convert the hp direct from the cc

ryf

Reaction score
well thats around 150cc (like 148 and some change) so find a couple of engines to compare that to of the same type (IE industrial, ATV, etc)

if its industrial/gokart then like 5-6 ish hp, here are some comparibles.

http://surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2007042919201847&item=28-1488&catname=engines

http://surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2007042919201847&item=28-1598&catname=engines

the biggest thing bikes have over industrial engines is usually the RPMS are are a bit higher normally (some street bikes easily rev over 10,000 RPM, but have no torque) HP isn't as important to gokarts as displacement and torque... (that my opinion anyway, now most engines with higher HP have those, so it does go hand in hand in hand though)

GoAlterBridge

Reaction score
Yeah, I was thinkin' it's either a 5 or 6. it looks little to small to be an 8. thanks for the replies and some advice.

GoAlterBridge

Reaction score

Attachments

• DCP_4202.jpg
    DCP_4202.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 253
  • DCP_4203.jpg
    DCP_4203.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 20
  • DCP_4204.jpg
    DCP_4204.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 19
  • DCP_4205.jpg
    DCP_4205.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 16
  • DCP_4206.jpg
    DCP_4206.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 151
  • DCP_4207.jpg
    DCP_4207.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

GoAlterBridge

Reaction score
Didn't pay a thing for it. Yeah the electric works awesome. I couldn't believe they actually let me have it for free! It helps when a persons dad (mine) knows the people that work at the dump.
Thanks for the reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.