govenor

Status
Not open for further replies.

buggyman

Reaction score
Not sure if I am spelling that right. I am thinking of putting a more powerful engine on my kart. However, I don't want it to go too fast. How hard are these to install? And how much do they cost?

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Governors regulate the rpm (how fast the engine is turning). This is so you don't destroy your engine. it's like in a car, it keeps the car from going into the red on the tach.

anyway, all engines should have a governor that comes standard.

buggyman

Reaction score
Well, I've never seen one. Guess I don't know what it would look like anyway. How would you locate it and adjust it?

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The way that I understand, it's all done by centrifugal force. The engine spiins too fast, and the governor is actuated. It pulls back on the throttle linkage until the gas is lowered, and the speed is lowered, and therefore the centrifugal throwout of the governor is no longer pulling on the gas.

At least that's how I understand it. I know there's a really good site on governor theory. I'll see if i can't pull it up.

toiletstalker

Reaction score
Now while we are on the topic, I have a question(s). The reason I have my engine is because the governor broke. Now, with that said I always hear people talking about how people remove the governor. Umm, why? Then, How do you watch the engine RPM level. Most Karts I have seen don't have a tachometer. My carb has two main valves in it, each with there own links. Would one be for the governor and the other for the "Normal" throttle? If so, then do I do with the one for the governor?

Lead Foot

Reaction score
#1 why?- Removing the governer allows you to rev the engine out more. While you cant safley spin a stock B&S at 7200 rpm, you can get it close to 5000, the governer however limits this to 3600 rpm.

#2- there should only be one "valve" or arm coming off. If it does have two than the one with the screw in it to adjust idle speed (usually on to of the carb) is the real throttal arm, the other one is probably just a pivot point.

Now to remove the governer...
Just set a a direct cable to the throttal arm,

How did your governer break, how do you know it broke?

toiletstalker

Reaction score
I think it broke when one of the little weights broke off, Not sure why that happened though. But the governors shaft broke and left half in the case and the other attached to the gear. My guess is that it became unbalanced when the weight came off. I knew this when I opened it up. Half if the shaft was stuck in the case so bad I had to drill it out. The rest of the engine is fine though.

I don't know if I understood your email or whatever, but like if you look down the carb a car, you see circular "flaps". And the open as you move the throttle. Well my carb has two of them. Tomorrow I might see if I can get some pictures. There is a screw in it but it doesn’t affect either "valve/flap" things. Both are controlled by there own cables.

Status
Not open for further replies.