good master links?

AmishMike

Reaction score
I finally got the 459cc on the cart. Have a 40 series CVT and it runs great! But it keeps blowing master links..... well when it gets traction. Running a TSC 40 series chain and link, then some links from local Ace Hardware. Who sells good master links? The TSC ones have only ever been okay even on farm equipment,
Thanks!

anderkart

Reaction score
Are you installing the lock clip with its open end facing away from the chains direction of rotation? If not, that's most likely your problem.

If you have been installing the clip in the correct direction, I'd suggest you stop using master links and start using a Chain Breaker Tool instead.

AmishMike

Reaction score
@anderkart nice front engine dragster kart! I just noticed it. Growing up, my father bought and sold a ton of FED's.
Anyways, I tried installing the clip both ways but I think that when it was installed correctly we had the chain too tight and misled us as to what direction it should be. Then installed it wrongly but with some slack and it ran for a few hours before letting go. Will try a little slack with it in the right direction next. If that doesn't work, then yes a chain breaker would do the trick.

Rat

Reaction score
@anderkart nice front engine dragster kart! I just noticed it. Growing up, my father bought and sold a ton of FED's.
Anyways, I tried installing the clip both ways but I think that when it was installed correctly we had the chain too tight and misled us as to what direction it should be. Then installed it wrongly but with some slack and it ran for a few hours before letting go. Will try a little slack with it in the right direction next. If that doesn't work, then yes a chain breaker would do the trick.
If installing the clip the correct direction doesn't work, you need to be looking for a clearance issue and bite marks along the chain run path.

The pins being longer on a master link can make for some ugly surprises in tight clearance situations

Snaker

Reaction score
One time you mention "blowing master links". Another you say "letting go".
So what does the damage actually look like? Any photos?
Does the clip go MIA and the chain come apart? Or does something break in pieces?

I find it convenient on some chains to have a take apart master link and some chains could just as well be riveted.
A chain coming off a yard cart is one thing. A chain coming off a bike at a buck fifty is another.

Some master links use the clip but still require the plate to be pressed on, kind of half way to being riveted.
But they are supposed to be stronger than the loose master links.
I had the tools for that and did reuse those links although I don't think their supposed to be.
A riveted link is going to be destroyed on removal and requires replacement.

AmishMike

Reaction score
I have found pieces from 3 incidents. It appears that the clip takes off first then the plate, the link itself opens up.
I have looked all over (but will do again) for any kind of marks where something could have hit, the backside of the driven clutch is the most likely part but no marks. Also no telltale signs on either sprocket that would point to misalignment beyond what we can eyeball.

Rat

Reaction score
I have found pieces from 3 incidents. It appears that the clip takes off first then the plate, the link itself opens up.
I have looked all over (but will do again) for any kind of marks where something could have hit, the backside of the driven clutch is the most likely part but no marks. Also no telltale signs on either sprocket that would point to misalignment beyond what we can eyeball.
If it's hitting the driven, you're not likely to see marks... you need to pull the belt so you can freely spin the wheel without much drag with the chain on.
LISTEN TO THE CHAIN CLOSELY! If it hits something you should be able to hear it and then track to its source of impact.
You should be able to hear the buzzing of the chain across the teeth and if it changes pitch you have an out if round sprocket or bent something.
The buzzing sound pitch is directly relative to chain tension just like drag is, and the pitch change signifies a change in tension/drag

There's 4 ways to fix it if it's catching the lip on the driven and each depends on the actual cause. It is also possible the transmission plate is bent or warped (rare as hell but I've seen it before)

1. Flip the master link over so the clip side is towards the engine

2. Adjust the engine positioning (if possible)

3. Add a washer between the pulley and sprocket, or if there's one between the sprocket and back plate move it to the front.
You will probably have to play with spacing to get the driver and driven lined up... anything under 98% perfect starts eating belts.

4. If the sprocket on the axle is movable, then look closely to see if the chain is dead center on the teeth, if it is not move the sprocket over to close the gap and center the chain... some carts would require the whole axle or the engine be moved instead due to a fixed sprocket