Golf Kart + Sled engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
So here we go, i have 2 or 3 other major projects going on, so i figured it was the perfect time to start another :D

Just traded my 5.5hp tecumseh powersport for a golf cart frame. Its a 1989 Columbia Parcar, pretty good shape, has no engine, but it has everything else, even the battery. Plastic in the front is cracked, but its not horrible, pretty good deal if i say so myself. I'm gonna stick the 440 f/c engine from my 91' jag in there, the track ripped on that so its worthless (and not worth getting a new track). Should be a fun ride!

Last edited:

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
Yea, the frame aint perfect, but there is no major rust, it'll just take a little spray paint and some flap discs. I started working, looks like i should be able to fit the driven on there no problem, just need to machine an adapter. Engine mounts should be easy, packing the exhaust in there might be a challenge.

TurtleMann14

Insane plan member
Reaction score
yea, i agree with the exhaust...

may have to cut a large section of the body's "bed"

is that not a driven on there already?

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
Yea kyle, i think i got a pretty good deal, should be fun.

The exhaust should fit, but i have to move the battery try and a few other odds and ends, may have to cut and re-weld it.

There is a driven on there, but its too small for the sled, and it has a bad spring, plus the sled driven has 7+ adjustments.

I looked at it, and lifting it would be wicked easy, the rear end is a swing arm, and just mounting the strut lower on the frame, along with longer springs would lift the rear end. Front might be a little trickier, its got a leaf spring up front so im thinkin about going to coil over sled shocks.

freakboy

the names 'mater
Reaction score
next time i go to my freind randys ill take pictures of his lifted golf kart for ya... but if i were you i would just run a strait axle and not bother with that rear end.. cant imagine it being to terribly strong.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
next time i go to my freind randys ill take pictures of his lifted golf kart for ya... but if i were you i would just run a strait axle and not bother with that rear end.. cant imagine it being to terribly strong.

The rear end looks pretty bulky to me, only time will tell though. I did some rough measurements and everything should fit under there, will be tight tho (just how i like it).

Some pics of the lifted one would be sick, im still not sure how i would lift the front end, i think i'd have to completely re-design it.

freakboy

the names 'mater
Reaction score
is that even legal? ahahaha

when was the last time she was used? you might need to dust it mabey power wash it before hand.

crazycart

RedNek Engineering
Reaction score
Check out my **** man!!! I have a harley 3 wheel Golf cart...predecessor of the columbia. SAME rear end setup. kawi 340 engine. HAULED. Get the belt alignment perfect and you will be fine. I made a plastic shim to space out the secondary to accept the sled belt. The rear end is geared low as a slug so expect about 40-50 top speed with stock tires. I cut and straightened my swing arm. They pull like a bat outa hell

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
Awesome dude! I figured the rear was geared low, but 50 is more than enough. Im going to use my sled secondary, the stock one is shot and the adapter wont be hard to make. Looks good though, is there a major reason u have those tie rods ( or whatever they are) going to the head of the engine?

crazycart

RedNek Engineering
Reaction score
I had cut the original mounts and used the bushing from them, they were very soft and the torque twisted the engine, the rods just held the engine still. If i was gunna do it all over again i would use a single piece of steel and slot the holes good. The belt alignment is key, i'd be going full throttle and belts would blow off like hand grenades under your a$$

crazycart

RedNek Engineering
Reaction score
With lift kits, you get what you pay for. Make your own thats solid or get a good one. There aren't any for columbia's that i know of....

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
So, i woke up in the middle of the night and realized i was mocking up the secondary wrong (yeah i know, i even think about this **** in my sleep). Anyways, the secondary wont fit, and upon closer inspection of the one that was on there, its got a huge piece that looks like it broke off, and was epoxied back on, so im going to just mount the rear end a bit further back, and use a polaris secondary. I will also have to re-do the rear shocks, so i think ill use sled shocks since the springs on there are weak, and the strut is shot.

Rear end has a 12:1 ratio, works out to be about 35-40 top speed with the sled engine and stock 18" tires...

Rear end is pretty strong looking, made by spicer. i'll get some pictures tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.