Gokart sizing advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

kawicat

Reaction score
hello. i am planning to build a custom gokart for booting around on the property. it will be used on loose gravel and grass as well as some minor road riding. i want to use a live axle, as well as have frame jacking. it will have a 18hp hirth snowmobile motor in it. it will have a skidoo alpine transmission in it with reverse. 11" tires all around. i am 5'11" and i am wondering what a comfortable size for gokart for me would be. does anybody know of or have plans for a frame that will accomadate this list of stuff? it will be built of 1"x1"x1/8" steel angle iron and i have a mig welder.

thanks in advance :auto:

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
The best thing to do is draw it on the ground. Sit down and make as if you are holding the steering wheel and feet on the imaginary pedals. This will give you a good idea of the size you need. While you are sitting there, have someone draw a outline of a gokart around you. Use this as your template

Connell

Reaction score
I don't think angle iron is a brilliant idea, you would be much better of with box section or tube, however angle iron would be good to use as bracing for whatever kart you end up making.

kawicat

Reaction score
ok. i understand that tubing would be better however i have an access in angle iron. if i brace the **** out of it will i be ok? im trying to do this as inexpensive as i can

Connell

Reaction score
i think if you had a good enough chassis design it would probably be ok, if you doubled up the angle iron so it makes a box section shape then it would probably work, lots of bracing would help.

Status
Not open for further replies.