Getting surface rust off of tubing easily !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe-405

Enjoying New Projects
Reaction score
Don’t know if you guys knew but if you use drywall sanding sheets (the screen type) it does a super job of taking surface rust off round tubing. A 10 pack is usually about $12 and I get 3 out of each sheet cause I cut them in thirds.

That is what I used to clean up the Desert Karts Panther that was sitting outside a few years or more. It took one afternoon to clean strip and paint. It looks completely different now.

I can try and do a demonstration of before and after in a few days when I’m off again.

Kartorbust

Reaction score
I like to use a grinder with a wire wheel, flap disk, or something like 60 or 80 grit sand paper for areas where the grinder cannot get to.

anickode

Reaction score
Another thing that works nicely is plumbing sanding screen for cleaning copper pipe. Comes on a long roll. I really like it because you can tear off a longer strip and get nice long strokes out of it. I use it at work a lot on machine shafts and stuff.

Randy H

Reaction score
Another thing that works nicely is plumbing sanding screen for cleaning copper pipe. Comes on a long roll. I really like it because you can tear off a longer strip and get nice long strokes out of it. I use it at work a lot on machine shafts and stuff.

I use vinegar to clean my copper pipe. I guess that's for a different forum.

However vinegar is a gnarly rust remover.

anickode

Reaction score
I use vinegar to clean my copper pipe. I guess that's for a different forum.

However vinegar is a gnarly rust remover.

Vinegar is excellent for cleaning it, but roughing up the surface a bit gives the solder a better bond.

Vinegar is also a gnarly corrosive agent, and if not cleaned off promptly will make your rust even worse.

Joe-405

Enjoying New Projects
Reaction score

Same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.