Gear ratio help!!!

Elin

Reaction score
Hi I want to make a go Kart(first time), I have a question... I have a 3.5hp engine, 3600rpm. Don't have a tire size yet... How ever I would like to know what gear ratio will be best for this kart as I want a speed of about 30 to 35 m/h. So what would be a good balance for power and speed? Thanks Elin.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
I don’t think a 3.5hp engine will push you that fast. Maybe 20-25. A 5-6hp would be better. What kind of riding are you going to be doing?

Elin

Reaction score
I don’t think a 3.5hp engine will push you that fast. Maybe 20-25. A 5-6hp would be better. What kind of riding are you going to be doing?
Around the block and area really.. If I were to do that speed, what would the gear ratio then be? So the ground would be smooth and tar..

redflash

Reaction score
ride around the area........does that mean off road Dirt, hills, mud, rocks...........or pavement. It makes a difference. a difference in tires, gearing,
horses etc. generally speaking 1 to 6 is the best......10 teeth on drive sprocket....60 teeth on axle sprocket.

Da redflash

Elin

Reaction score
It would be on tar. So a smooth ish surface. Say I wanted 25m/h.. With the 3.5hp and 3600epm engine. What would be the best gear ratio?

redflash

Reaction score
even with 3.5 you probably will never see 25 mph.....likely in 17-18 mph depending on tires.

Elin

Reaction score
What if i remove the governor and increase the rpm to 5000? Will the engine handle?

panchothedog

Reaction score
Removing the governor on that engine probably won't make any difference. Not that it couldn't spin faster ( with no load ) but trying to push a go kart with a full sized human being on board it doesn't produce enough power (GRUNT) to get up to a fast RPM. It takes horse power to overcome resistance and your engine doesn't have enough of it.

Thepartsguy

Reaction score
Pancho said it the nicest way possible and best. Not to mention there aren’t any upgrades available for that engine either!
there still useless but there are a ton of performance upgrades to the 3/3.5hp.. You just can’t buy them over the internet. Except for the billet flywheel. And when you get the flywheel you get the 30 degrees advance built into the keyway.
8BABE23D-AF61-413D-9539-BA06AD90C357.png584A57C1-1749-44C9-BD48-0719AB14A934.jpeg

Karttekk

Reaction score