fuel pump setup ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pearl111

Reaction score
HI I read something on another site that said to ditch the gravity feed fuel system on HOV 4 cycle engines and to replace with a fuel pump (mikuni fuel pump) system. I have a predator 212 with governor removed (will upgrade air intake, muffler, gas jet). How true is this statement to upgrade fuel system. My engine will be on home made mini bike frame (medium size nothing fancy). I go around 160 lbs. if this matters I don't know. If this is true hopefully I don't need any more hard to do upgrades. thanks mike

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
At least for me and chancer (from what he said before), the pump caused more problems.

If you don't need to move your gas tank below your carb, keep the gravity feed.

KISS - it almost hurts to say that. LOL

I too had once been steered down that pulse pumping path. It cost me money, time, frustration.

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
Sorry...but I gotta say it again! All this monkey see...monkey do. What in the wide world of sports is wrong with taking one out of the box...loosening the throttle nut, wiring the low oil sensor to a kill switch, hooking up a throttle and putting in oil and gas....and just driving it??????????

Ask yourself this: would you buy a new car, have it towed home....then mod the beggabbers out of the engine BEFORE YOU EVEN DRIVE IT??????

WTF???? REALLY? ??:surrender:

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
I'm not picking on you in particular Mike, just saying that it seems like everyone thinks these engines won't even WORK without modification.

In the olden days....a 3.5 hp Briggs was a LOT of engine! Now...you can pretty much get double the hp for $100...

Now...I have 3.5 hp lawnmowers and 6.5 hp lawnmowers.....both mow the grass. Yeah....the 6.5hp ones are nicer. But...I don't feel the need to remove the govenor, upgrade everything, and install billet parts.

What I'm saying is this: try it....most people are actually going to find that stock, the kart is going to be scary at top speed.

And a minibike possibly moreso.

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
Hello and thanks everyone I will stay away from the extra added parts and sites that say you need this and that. mike

It was the engine builder at ARC that told me they don't run anything off of gravity, so that is why I ASSUMED I needed a pump. What an *** I am! My engine should burn more fuel than yours, so gravity should do you just fine. Unless You got extra stickers for an additional 10HP?

leesiel

Yardcart 196
Reaction score
just saying that it seems like everyone thinks these engines won't even WORK without modification.

In the olden days....a 3.5 hp Briggs was a LOT of engine! Now...you can pretty much get double the hp for $100...

Now...I have 3.5 hp lawnmowers and 6.5 hp lawnmowers.....both mow the grass. Yeah....the 6.5hp ones are nicer. But...I don't feel the need to remove the govenor, upgrade everything, and install billet parts.

What I'm saying is this: try it....most people are actually going to find that stock, the kart is going to be scary at top speed.

And a minibike possibly moreso.

And what's wrong with wanting more ? Stock was fun for a day or two.

rk970

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with using a fuel pump. The problem happens when you have a carb set up for gravity feed (large float needle and seat) and try to use a fuel pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.