Front axle build

Status
Not open for further replies.

freakboy

the names 'mater
Reaction score
I posted this over on heymow also but ill post it here to cause it can benifit some people that may be interested in making a racing mower.

i thought it would be helpful for the new people around here that don't have the money to shell out for a EC front axle but still want a fully adjustable front axle. This is low budget but still with all the safety features and adjustablity of a EC axle.(well i intend to have it as adjustable as a EC front axle.

it will basically be like the EC front axle that they sell on there website (great product really worth it if you have the money I wish i had the money for one.) It consists of a few parts that i will list here.

Axle beam- mine is the stock front axle from my mower with a few modifications. Mines dimensions are 2 inch wide by 3 inches tall and a over all length of 22 inches. (Its a bit long but when i get more parts that i can peice this axle together with tires and what not ill probably cut the thing down and fit in the width rule for USLMRA.) Luckily it has 10* Kpi build into it the way the Axle was made from the factory.

theres the axle beam

another view

End plates- I used 4 inch by 3 inch quarter inch thick steel plates. I got them free from my fathers work they were in the scrap bin so im making due with them. I used two for this axle. i cut them into 2 inch wide by 3 inch long peices and ill show what i did here in with pictures. over all the endplates that i kinda made are 6 inch by 2 inch.

What i started with

after a minuet with the angle grinder and a cut off disk

how its gona be welded

and how it sits on the axle... i see no ad placement here.
Heim joints- I am going to be buying some heims with the threaded rod part of them 1/2 in diameter and the spot were the king pin goes through will be 1/2 or 5/8ths.

King pins- Will be 1/2 or 5/8 Grade 8 Bolts bout 7 inches long with a castle nut and a cotter pin holding it firmly in place so it doesn't come off during racing.

Spindle body- I haven't really decided what i will use of them yet but probaly some 1/2 or 5/8 bore what ever thickness i need Steel piping.

Spindle bolt- will be Either 1/2 or 5/8 inch grade 8 bolt in what ever lenght i need it.

The axle is still in the design phase right now but hopefully will come together in a few days.

Ill post more progress as it goes along with more pictures. and i would like seasond racers input.

Status
Not open for further replies.