Freevalve tech on predator

65ShelbyClone

Reaction score
I saw that on the guy's channel a week or two ago.

The headline is misleading; Koenigsegg's Freevalve system isn't at all the same as using electric solenoids to actuate the valves directly. Solenoids have been tried many times and only ever worked as a proof-of-concept. The electrical power required is substantial and none of the energy used to open the valve is recovered when it closes unlike with a cam shaft and springs.

I expect that even if similar systems reach a consumer level or even aftermarket level in the foreseeable future, the controllers and software won't be cheap. Kind of like how gasoline direct injection ECUs are now.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
only real benefit if you want to call it that is variable valve timing..
you can increase duration and or lift on the fly according to rpm and power demand...
But that has been tackled by Honda (I think they were the first) mechanically IIRC a few decades ago
and since then spread to several mfgs

IDK.. interesting idea sure..
nice tinker toy for the experienced homebrewer most certainly
sincere advantage in competetive engine building... I doubt that.
not because it lacks potential, but because it increases the amount of failure points.

as shelby said.. it requires a substantial amount of electrical power to actuate the solenoids.
individual solenoids might overhead and fail...
one "stuck" valve and the race is over.

But yeah.. interesting read!

'sid

chimmike

Reaction score
I watched the miata video and it looks like he's using air-actuated solenoids.
And yeah I had those similar concerns....but Koenigsegg uses them in ultra cars. I suspect he's done thorough testing on them.

Honda and practically everybody else has figured out variable timing and lift. Nissan with the neo-VVL system, honda initially with vtec and then i-vtec, bmw, merc, ford, chevy, etc. But this does so without cam shafts entirely which is so intriguing. Infinitely variable. So cool.

65ShelbyClone

Reaction score
Here's the overview from a while back:

I think if it can be made affordable for mass production, it will probably be the next big development for piston engines. Hopefully anyway because I really don't want soulless electric cars to become the only option any time soon.

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
It's a very interesting idea, regardless of how well it actually relates to the performance of that 212. I mean seriously, just having someone even attempt to put Koenigsegg tech onto a HF motor is pretty epic. I am very curious where freevalve tech will be going in the future now that this guy has actually created a semi working DIY prototype.
And yes @65ShelbyClone: Way better than electric cars!!