Frame Materials?

Status
Not open for further replies.

new2me

Reaction score
So yesterday I was shopping for 1 1/4" square tubing so I could start my kart frame. 1 supplier has 11awg that was going to cost me $77 for 30ft. :eek: Then I went to the local Home Depot and they had 1" 1/16th thick for $13 a 6ft section. (seemed a bit weak) None of the scrap yards had anything but 2" which seems a little overkill for a 5-8hp kart.

Well after the long day of searching my lil brother calls me up and asked if I could use his house antenna for the project. I asked him to see if a magnet will stick to it and it did. This tower has 3 or 4 50ft poles which would be more than enough. I am going to his house today to help him take it down & see what exactly id be working with.

What do you guys think about using this?

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, it will be galvanized at least, and that is toxic. (doable, just more a pain).

Seems expensive for the steel.. Is that regular rolled steel? Hmm. Maybe it's been a while since i've bought.

new2me

Reaction score
I wasn't even thinking about it being galvanized, that's no good! Is that just a coating that could be sanded off where I need to weld or is it actually in the metal?

I know the steel prices have gone up quite a bit in the past few years, just didn't think it was this much either. I saw someone used gas pipe from Home Depot and am considering that as an alternative. My problem will be the whole bending and notching, unless I can use a hole saw to notch.

2or3wheels

Reaction score
I always thought that it was sprayed or dipped, but i could be wrong. Might as well try to sand it off and see if its a caoting. If it is then you could use it if not you could still use it just toxic. For free its worth a try.

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it's just dipped. I've welded on it, I just do it with a fan behind me (gasless) and hold my breath, then leave the area when the weld is done. But I've never really done more than a handful of welds at a time like that. Might get really old welding a whole frame.

I used gas pipe for my first mini chopper. Worked out OK. A little heavy.

Status
Not open for further replies.