Flywheel keys

Status
Not open for further replies.

2or3wheels

Reaction score
So i broke a flywheel key. No biggy, they make me buy a 10-pack but oh well. I put new one in engine sputters because i havent been able to get it tuned yet. Broke another key. Then same thing. Now im wondering if i broke another today because i got frustrated and said eneugh for today. Anyone got any ideas? Is it the wrong metal composite? Its the only one in the Primeline book we looked at that was similar to the old one.

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow... broke a key. Hmmm. I don't know. I buy them from the local lawnmower repair place. Maybe they've got some hardened ones?

2or3wheels

Reaction score
Thats where i went first. Im going to have my dad take a look. Im going to have to go there tomorrow anyways for a cable for my mower so i think ill ask them.

funky ole

Reaction score
fly wheel isn't tight enough.torque to 75 ft lbs. don't use a hardened key,will tear up the crank and flywheel.another thing to try is valve lapping compound on crank and flywheel taper.gives enough grab to lock them in position,use a little bit not alot.

2or3wheels

Reaction score
I just tighten the nut as hard as i can. I believe i was putting the key in the wrong way. Thew key it uses is cut out and was putting it in backwards putting 1/2 the key in the flywheel. Still cant get the motor to idle. I have to start it wide open choked. once its warmed up it was still the same. i got the high speed needle good but to get it to idle the idle screw is so far in that its reving way to high and wants to go bye bye. Any ideas. Its a normal tuchumca carb.

athif

Reaction score
spend a good buck and get a reinforced one for 10 bucks, its well worth it, TUFF STUFF

2or3wheels

Reaction score
Well the one for an HS 50 is cut out on a side and i put it in backwards so only 1/2 the of the flywheel had a key metal in it, so 1/2 less surface area and a strong rebuilt motor= broken ones. I fixed it now i need a carb kit, but im working on a mini motorcycle now.

Reaction score
something is wrong. the engine doesnt realy use the key to hold it, just align it. there is a burr on something, the nut is to loose, the concave washer is missing, or something. i have run a 5 horse briggs making neer 15 horse power at 10,000 r.p.m. with no key at all!!-phil

Status
Not open for further replies.