Fixing up the fixie!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike.

Reaction score
WIKI:
A fixed-gear bicycle (or fixed-wheel bicycle, sometimes known as a fixie) is a bicycle that has no freewheel, meaning it cannot coast, because the pedals are always moving when the bicycle is in motion.

The sprocket, or cog, is threaded or bolted directly to a fixed rear hub. When the rear wheel turns, the pedals turn in the same direction.[1] This allows a cyclist to apply a weak braking force without using a brake, by resisting the rotation of the cranks, and also to ride in reverse.

Quick back story:
So I was living in San Diego and feeling pretty down about being so far from all my friends back in Ohio. It got progressively worse as I started getting stuff piled on me at work, working 4 or 5 hours extra every night, coming in on weekends, the list goes on. I would stay in my room from the time I got home from work until the time I left for weeks at a time. I needed a hobby. One night I was walking to Jack in the Box, significantly intoxicated like usual, when I saw a bicycle in a shop window. "Man, I could really use on of those." I went home and did research on those types of bikes. Seemed pretty cool so the next day I dropped almost $600 to have a new bike rushed to my house. I put it together and logged over 500 miles in the first week alone. Needless to say, I was hooked. I joined bike groups, did HUGE rides all over San Diego (read: Critical Mass), and had easily the best time of my life on more than one occasion (yeah, its possible to have multiple best times of your life!). After just a couple days of riding I had a better outlook on things. I felt refreshed, stronger, more alive. It was awesome! I think that shift from rock bottom depression to amazing life-long memorable times has cemented bicycles in my brain until the day I die.

I frequently pick up old bikes and convert them into fixies. Its a subcultural thing. Some people call us hipsters, maybe you have heard that before. We ride in city traffic, many with no brakes, run stop signs, and get to where we are going long before you do.
Anyway, its therapeutic for me to take a bike that is nothing and make it into something.

Here is where it started:

Then I picked up some random pieces and made this:

Then painted it:

Now I'm changing it again and upgrading parts to look like this:

Stripped the frame:

Primed frame, first coat on forks:

Redid the bars:

Frame 90% painted:

Wheels:

Finishing it up tomorrow and assembly by Saturday I hope! Also picking up another frame this weekend to flip and possibly sell.
Thanks for checking it out!

mike.

brandongeiger2

Reaction score
Ive always thought fixies were so cool but where I live bicycle transportation isn't all that popular. Iv'e been riding BMX for about 6 years though. Looks like you've done a pretty good job so far! But why not pull the cranks and BB out for painting?

Heres a pic of my bike:
Blackout Killrodo Frame
Eastern Motley Pro Cranks
Stolen Bottom Bracket
Coalition Bars
Rear wheel:eastern bi-rectional hub laced in a BFR Sunrim
Aaron Ross Signature Odyssey Tires
Nitrous double shot front wheel
Shadow Vultus fork
Fly Integrated headset

Attachments

• 0101121416.jpg
    0101121416.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 6

mike.

Reaction score
I had the cranks off before and I stripped out the threads where the puller goes. I'll need a new crank but I wont have it for a couple more weeks. I don't want to destroy the one I have now because I want to ride it at an event next week, so I left it on.

I used to have a WeThePeople that I built a few years back. Cost about $650 for the bike, another $200 for new parts after I sold the stock Salt parts. Got stolen by a Marine and I couldn't prove it so he got away with it. I love BMX but the community isnt there.

newrider3

Reaction score
Nice builds!

I've been riding BMX for so long having more than one speed just gets on my nerves. I had a crappy rigid mountain bike converted to SS to ride around campus last year, but it was a tank, and pedaling wide tires up hills sucks. So I build up a fixed bike this summer, its an EighthInch Scrambler frameset, full 4130. It's so nice to ride, it's super easy just to haul ***. I never thought I'd like riding fixed, but it's kind of like driving a manual transmission, you feel more connected with what you're doing.

the janky cruiser, complete with grinder holder haha:

the Scrambler:

my DK Six Pack, nothing still stock besides the frame, fork, and seat.

brandongeiger2

Reaction score
I had the cranks off before and I stripped out the threads where the puller goes. I'll need a new crank but I wont have it for a couple more weeks. I don't want to destroy the one I have now because I want to ride it at an event next week, so I left it on.

I used to have a WeThePeople that I built a few years back. Cost about $650 for the bike, another $200 for new parts after I sold the stock Salt parts. Got stolen by a Marine and I couldn't prove it so he got away with it. I love BMX but the community isnt there.

Yeah for every 10 skaters theres one guy that rides a bike haha WTP makes some good parts. It sucks you stripped the threads though they must have been stuck on there good normally if that happens I just whip out the mallet and persuade it to come off...
I cant beleive someone stole your bike some black kid tryed to steal my buddys bike so we followed after him and he gave it back in exchange for a busted up face it was a brand new Eastern Growler

I mostly ride "street" and park living in florida there isn't much dirt just sand but I like that scrambler nice wheels! only thing is I wouldn't want to ride much without clipless pedals or the ones that secure your feet because id forget there isn't a freewheel/cassette haha

newrider3

Reaction score
I'm sure I'd get yelled at for posting my bike with no foot retention on a fixed gear forum, but honestly I haven't had an issue. I can feather the front brake if I start to get squirrely. I actually get more confused when I stop pedaling on my BMX or MTB and the cranks don't keep pushing my feet... :roflol:

mike.

Reaction score
I love foot straps, but I made the mistake of using them before I was comfortable on the bike. Crashed going down one of the steepest hills in San Diego because I couldn't get my feet off the pedals. I cant even ride a freewheel anymore because it just feels so weird, although I do have a flip-flop hub on my good bike.

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Laughed myself senseless... Thanks! I must confess, that as a driver in a major metropolitan city, that is how we invariably think of cyclists. Without getting into a whole new tangent-

I don't get it. The fixie thing. Unclear.

Going down a hill, your muscles get NO rest. Under varying speed, load, and terrain conditions, you cannot select a much more efficient gear ratio. And what in god's name do you if you need to panic stop? Just go ahead and hit that car in front of you??? Some fixies appear to have a single brake. Some appear to have no brakes. And your legs and feet are a LOT more mass to try and bring to a stop in a huge hurry.

I just don't get it. But you do, so... Enjoy!

mike.

Reaction score
Laughed myself senseless... Thanks! I must confess, that as a driver in a major metropolitan city, that is how we invariably think of cyclists. Without getting into a whole new tangent-

I don't get it. The fixie thing. Unclear.

Going down a hill, your muscles get NO rest. Under varying speed, load, and terrain conditions, you cannot select a much more efficient gear ratio. And what in god's name do you if you need to panic stop? Just go ahead and hit that car in front of you??? Some fixies appear to have a single brake. Some appear to have no brakes. And your legs and feet are a LOT more mass to try and bring to a stop in a huge hurry.

I just don't get it. But you do, so... Enjoy!

Your legs rest while they are moving with the pedals. It's not bad actually. And when you get to speed, the efficiency is high. I can ride all day long at 15+ mph with no issues. The fixed gear allows you not only to slow down but to stop as well. Putting your weight on the front wheel and stopping your tire with your legs is a crude way to brake but it works, but of course lever operated brakes are better. I usually ride with front brakes but stray from using them as much as possible.

Its one of those things that I enjoy but many others do not. Just like you probably like something that I might not like. You enjoy it and thats all that matters!

Orange Krate

Reaction score
Sorry, my first knowlege of fixed gear bikes came from this video and then from my friend who runs a pawn shop on the square in a liberal arts college town.

Your thread is the first technical perspective I've seen on fixed gears. Living in the city is tough and you have to have an outlet. Really, I'm glad they were able to help you out and that you enjoy it. I think Toystory_4wd meant that too. I'm for anything involving mechanical aptitude.

One of my favorite movie build sequences was when he fixed up the broken down bike in Breaking Away. I lost the link otherwise I would have shared it. If you've never seen it...you need to.

newrider3

Reaction score
It's kind of like a direct drive race kart-it's really meant for the track (hence the proper name for a fixed gear is track bike) but if all you want to do on the street is haul *** it works well. You just have to get used to the fact that you either need to go fast, or get off and walk.

Status
Not open for further replies.