first question from a newbie, bear with me

LtPinecone

Reaction score
Hey guys, So I am new to the whole custom go karts thing so I wanted to make sure I have all my concepts in order. First, I want to go electric, so that being said I read over the guides and I have a pretty good understanding of how it works. Like I said in my intro, I am coming from a robotics background so I kinda know my way around electric motors and such already. I have attached a diagram of how I understand this, please correct me if I am wrong. With that being said, here is my question. I have a 48 volt, 1800W brushless motor. Edit: I have a kelly KBS X mini speed controller. What type of battery and acceleration pedal do you guys recommend? Amazon links preferred if not, any other reputable seller will do.

Thank you,

Josh

Attachments

• Diagram.png
    Diagram.png
    6.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
Nothing special about the throttle any 0-5V hall effect throttle signal will do nicely (usually 0.4-4.7V actually that's still fine!)
pullcord, pedal, twistgrip or thumb is only a matter of your personal preference,
I like pull cord types, since you can attach them exactly as you would any throttle cable
but again.. your choice.
shouldn't cost more than maybe 25 bucks, or you'll get ripped off ;)

You forgot a brake switch (you should have one!) which type is in the kelly's documentation,
a simple microswitch (waterprotected) does the job just nicely, nothing fancy needed.

type of battery is tough.. I usually suggest AGM cells (motorcycle batteries) since they're rather chea and easily stackable..
Since you cannot make use of most of the additional juice of Lithium cells anyways (controller cutoff voltage)
and the rather hefty pricetags for reliable lithium batteries paired with the danger of cheap lithium batteries...
yeah I'd rather suggest the heavier weight and cheaper price that's way safer to use.

make sure to get battery documentation and get the current limits right though.
size is a matter of required driving time / mileage can't help you with that I'm afraid

'sid

LtPinecone

Reaction score
Nothing special about the throttle any 0-5V hall effect throttle signal will do nicely (usually 0.4-4.7V actually that's still fine!)
pullcord, pedal, twistgrip or thumb is only a matter of your personal preference,
I like pull cord types, since you can attach them exactly as you would any throttle cable
but again.. your choice.
shouldn't cost more than maybe 25 bucks, or you'll get ripped off ;)

You forgot a brake switch (you should have one!) which type is in the kelly's documentation,
a simple microswitch (waterprotected) does the job just nicely, nothing fancy needed.

type of battery is tough.. I usually suggest AGM cells (motorcycle batteries) since they're rather chea and easily stackable..
Since you cannot make use of most of the additional juice of Lithium cells anyways (controller cutoff voltage)
and the rather hefty pricetags for reliable lithium batteries paired with the danger of cheap lithium batteries...
yeah I'd rather suggest the heavier weight and cheaper price that's way safer to use.

make sure to get battery documentation and get the current limits right though.
size is a matter of required driving time / mileage can't help you with that I'm afraid

'sid
Thank you for the info! I will definitely keep this in mind. It would be a while before I start this project, but once I do I want to know what I am doing lol.

Where would you suggest I buy the pedal and other electronic bits from?

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
depends on your location / preferences actually..
I don't like buying from chinese sellers over the amazon platform,
same sellers sell the same stuff on ebay (mostly cheaper) which for me is usually safer (paypal)
and most of the times quicker even.
(worse.. very same item on amazon is often listed from numerous sellers [but not necessarily linked by amazon] for very different prices
that and the terribly spammed search results are the main reasons for me to avoid buying anything on amazon)

buying locally is the easiest and safest bet, but as you can see my location and yours do not exactly match up ;)
but sometimes shops only relay suff they bought off ebay/amazon/alibaba
and that I can do myself for much cheaper so...
no, I cannot confidently make a suggestion other than keep your eyes peeled for what you are looking for (no matter where),
and then try to find the identical part via google for a closer/safer/cheaper seller yourself.

'sid

LtPinecone

Reaction score
depends on your location / preferences actually..
I don't like buying from chinese sellers over the amazon platform,
same sellers sell the same stuff on ebay (mostly cheaper) which for me is usually safer (paypal)
and most of the times quicker even.
(worse.. very same item on amazon is often listed from numerous sellers [but not necessarily linked by amazon] for very different prices
that and the terribly spammed search results are the main reasons for me to avoid buying anything on amazon)

buying locally is the easiest and safest bet, but as you can see my location and yours do not exactly match up ;)
but sometimes shops only relay suff they bought off ebay/amazon/alibaba
and that I can do myself for much cheaper so...
no, I cannot confidently make a suggestion other than keep your eyes peeled for what you are looking for (no matter where),
and then try to find the identical part via google for a closer/safer/cheaper seller yourself.

'sid
Alright, that makes sense. Thank you!

redflash

Reaction score
You can find anything you need for an electric go Kart, scooter, bike, etc at Electric scooter parts .com....check out their web store

Da Flash

LtPinecone

Reaction score
You can find anything you need for an electric go Kart, scooter, bike, etc at Electric scooter parts .com....check out their web store

Da Flash
Oh awesome! Thank you, I assume they are a pretty reliable/reputable vendor?

redflash

Reaction score
check out the web site...they are prompt, reasonable. and haave everything you need

LtPinecone

Reaction score
check out the web site...they are prompt, reasonable. and haave everything you need
Awesome, been looking through it, all their calculators and kits (like the electronics kit) are super helpful and are definitely a reasonable price, thank you so much for the suggestion! This will make my project so much simpler.