First offroad go-karts build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xtreme Yard Karts

Reaction score
My question is how will the fuel react to the JB Weld & vice versa; is there any research on the subject?

JB usually holds up to fuel well, but I'd be more concerned about it vibrating loose over time since that crack was so bad.

JB Weld is supposed to resist to gasoline..

Did you score the surface before putting the JB Weld on? The chance of success will be much higher if you did so. I usually score the surface pretty deeply with a scribe in a "X" pattern and get it really clean with acetone. Most of time if done like this, you can't beat the stuff off with a hammer! -lol

I would be really careful tightening jet back up, because I'd guess over tightening it to stop a fuel leak probably caused the crack in the first place.

JPGraphX

Reaction score
Well, I don't know what to think about. I'll keep looking for an old GX390 carb. They seem to be similar but not identic.

But I'll try it like this. And no, I didnt score the surface..

JP

"Envoyé depuis mon SGH-T999 avec Tapatalk"

JPGraphX

Reaction score
Okay, my carburetor repair did not worked. I just bought a new one. (need to wait for it to be shipped).

I have a question about my front wheels. They are tractor wheels, with bushing.. I know it is not good. I found these bearings: Heim RF102214PP or these one 6202-2RS

They would fit in my wheel hub to replace bushing. My question is, what should be the minimum shaft diameter for front wheel?

Thanks,
JP

Xtreme Yard Karts

Reaction score
Okay, my carburetor repair did not worked. I just bought a new one. (need to wait for it to be shipped).

I have a question about my front wheels. They are tractor wheels, with bushing.. I know it is not good. I found these bearings: Heim RF102214PP or these one 6202-2RS

They would fit in my wheel hub to replace bushing. My question is, what should be the minimum shaft diameter for front wheel?

Thanks,
JP

I just double checked, and the spindles on the front of my carts are 5/8".

JPGraphX

Reaction score
I have almost everything to finish the rear axle of my kart.

I mean, gear, torque converter, wheel, keyway, disc brake, etc.

I'll post photo as my build progress this weekend.

Thanks for following and for giving tips!
JP

JPGraphX

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I need tips before I go that way. What do you think about my torque converter positionning ? Are my sprocket good that way ?

Ah and no it wont be a threaded rod lol but a 5/8 shaft with pillow block ...

This is the concept..

uploadfromtaptalk1417896337915.jpguploadfromtaptalk1417896357099.jpguploadfromtaptalk1417896375144.jpg

Thanks!
JP

KartFab

Reaction score
Personally, I build a box that the engine sits on. The box is made of steel about 6"x9"x2.5", then I weld a 1 3/8" INNER DIAMETER tube to one end of the box and make sure it fits the motor mounts with 7/16" bolt holes, then put two 5/8 x 1 3/8" bearings in each end of the tube. You can adjust the chain tension that way without messing with the center to center distance of the engine/torque converter. The bottom of the box bolts to a plate on the frame with slots in it.

(also, the torque converter just needs a 3/8" Fine thread bolt and a thick washer to attach it to the engine shaft. You can cut spacers out of 1" pipe to adjust the distance from the crankcase cover.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 24

KartFab

Reaction score
DOM (drawn over mandrel) 1.625 OD x .120 wall thickness Tube. Gives just a hair larger than the 1 3/8 OD of the 5/8" bearing. Paint added to the inside makes it a snug fit.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 17

JPGraphX

Reaction score
I'm going to raise my motor with channels I'll bolt my motor on top of the channel. Then I'll bolt 2 pillow block on top of the channel (with the good distance to get my center-to-center for torque converter)

Then my channels are going to slide to adjust chain tension..

Thanks for that good info Gran_pann!!

JP

Status
Not open for further replies.