First offroad go-karts build

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPGraphX

Reaction score
Here is a "CONCEPT" for my direction and suspension. I would use a 5/8 shaft and drill 5/8 @ 80* in a block. Then weld it to it.

My block would have a 7/8" hole with boston gear bushing on both sides.

What do you think about it?

Thanks,
JP

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Reaction score
I see no problems....
You see how you have it tilted towards center of frame? Now, tilt back towards rear axle...... Camber and caster :thumbsup:
What spring rates did you go with?
What kind of bushings are going into block?

JPGraphX

Reaction score
I could weld my channel 10* towards rear axle right? (complete assembly)

This is my bushing: LINK
Oil-Impregnated Sintered Bronze

This is my spring: LINK
150lbs/inch

Thanks!
JP

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Reaction score
Yes sir! Just tilt the whole thing 10* back. You end up with caster and camber. Camber is adjustable in my set up.
Good choice on that bushing... :thumbsup:

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Reaction score
It's no problem. It's the very reasonable a handful of us are here, simply just to help others. I have gotten a few choice ideas and tips from being here, but I came just to talk "shop" with everyone. I've been doing this for over 25 years, I got a pretty good handle on things.... :lolgoku:
My dream is to open my own kart shop. I'm getting there, little by little. I have a small steady base of clients for kart repair and motorcycle / atv repair, and im working on my own line of karts. I just love karts...... Always have, always will..... To be able talk with you, all the way in Canada, and "help" you with yours, well, it's just super cool, dude..... :thumbsup::cornut:

JPGraphX

Reaction score
I'm looking to complete my suspension and direction concept. I want to be sure that my tire isn't going to interfere with my assembly.

What should be the maximum angle that my tire can do? (rotation around the barrel)

OzFab

Reaction score
I'd say they should turn in somewhere around 45° at the rear of the tyre; of course, due to ackermann, the angle at the front of the opposite tyre will be more

JPGraphX

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but with the concept that I did, I dont have camber? My tire will be straight and perpendiculair with the road? BUT when I turn, I will get camber. Is it what I want?

Is that ok? (**** I hope so....)

My suspension is not vertical also, I know it's not the best idea, but I think it will be better than without suspension.. right?

Thanks,
JP

tazmannusa

Reaction score
It is hard to say if it is ok or not , have not tried it with the springs like that . If you ran say 5% inwards and 10% tilted back then I cant see how it would be a problem, just make sure the tie rods have clearance. Worse come to worse you can always cut them off and change angel or make new ones

JPGraphX

Reaction score
Well my question was that, with my channel tilted 10* inwards, it makes my kingpin horizontal, is it what it should be? In my idea camber is tire inclined inwards, but they wont be when I drive in straight line.

tazmannusa

Reaction score
Trying to understand you question but yes camber angling the channel inward 5% the kingpin is also 5% then the spindle shaft gets welded on at 5% downward to compensate for the 5% camber and keeps the tires vertical when driving a straight line . both Tires will tilt outward a little when turning ether direction add 10% caster to the back and then then say you turn hard left the left front tire tilts outward a bit and the right tilts inward witch also transfers more weight to the right rear tire . Give a lot better handling and self centering

Xtreme Yard Karts

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but that design is never gonna work. There's no threads on your king pin or spindles, so it's not going to stay together. :lolgoku: -j/k

The Fox Manco kart I bought my kids for Christmas has a similar set-up to this, but with much less spring travel.

JPGraphX

Reaction score
Here's a small update before holiday break. (I'll be working a lot on my kart).

Front spindle are almost finished. Here is some pictures:

Thanks for following!

JP

OzFab

Reaction score
Trying to understand you question but yes camber angling the channel inward 5% the kingpin is also 5% then the spindle shaft gets welded on at 5% downward to compensate for the 5% camber and keeps the tires vertical when driving a straight line

Not quite; camber, caster & toe are measured at the wheel, not at the steering geometry, the wheels should have a few degrees of camber for your description to work correctly & efficiently

JPGraphX

Reaction score
My wheel when going straight should have camber?

Right now, between my spindle and the kingpin there is 10 degree. But I was planning to fix my channel at -10 degree so my kingpin become horizontal. What am I suppose to do?

JPGraphX

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Here is a small update. Rear suspension installed. It's a bit stiffer than expected, but it's not a bad thing. i also installed the yellow spring for my torque converter.

JP

Status
Not open for further replies.