Finally given the old full suspension Murray some love.

G.W

Reaction score
First things first, never buy a full suspension as a first ever project. I bought my go kart for 50 bucks when I was 9. It used to live on the coast of Washington so all the bolts where rust welded, the pan was rusted through, all moving parts didn't move, and there are lots of those on a full suspension.

The first thing I did was strip it down to bare metal with a cheap yard sale orbital sander, which took forever. But before I could do this I had to tear all the parts off. Every single suspension piece was rust siezed. Every bolt, swing arm, shock; completely welded solid. It took me alot of hammering, pb blaster, and smashed fingers to get the thing apart.

The sanding was a pain especially with a crappy yard sale sander that would get really hot. You'll see the paint. It looks good, but it has been destroyed since a repainted it.

That's another lesson, don't paint until all other work is done.

To make a long story short it took about 1000 bucks in parts to get it rolling with a predator 212. I struggled with figuring out the gear ratio, so it sat for 3 years before I stumbled across a video that explained it perfectly.

I finally got it running In December when my aunt and her d**k head husband visited for Christmas. He decided to hop in my go kart and ride it without anyone telling him he could, and he somehow busted the welds on the engine plate.

I recently got it welded back in and was going to re mount my 212 predator, when I came across a 0 hours predator 459cc engine for 120 bucks. I got the engine and ordered a bunch of parts to make it safe with a big a$$ engine.

I ordered a racing harness, found an old plastic racing seat, ordered an engine mount, new pedals so I can relocate them, and new brake parts. I got burned on the front shocks I ordered because they bottom put with the weight of the kart.

Anyways thanks for reading this beast of a post, any advice is appreciated. Here are some pictures pictures.

Attachments

• 20230605_185413.jpg
    20230605_185413.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 12
  • 20230605_185401.jpg
    20230605_185401.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 13
  • 20230417_065048.jpg
    20230417_065048.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 13
  • 20230417_065056.jpg
    20230417_065056.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 13

G.W

Reaction score
Looks like a pretty nice kart! Like your tire choice, too bad about DH breaking it. You did a nice job on it!
Thanks. I've had it for 7 years now. I got tire of nothing working and let it sit. Now I've got some more mechanical experience and can tell what I've messed up. I just got the seat mounted properly and I will start on the harness and petals. I'm wanting to get this thing ripping before the end of summer brake.

electraglide

Reaction score
Many a time my neighbor would ask me You know what your doing ? ...... half the time answer was ... NO ....., but through the years of dicking around and making mistakes I also learned a lot. I enjoy a challenge and love the rush I get when what used to be crappy now works. Felt good when I figured stuff out, made it work, get as sense of accomplishment, self worth and self respect and pride by having patience and sticking to it. Doesn't happen all the time ...80% stuff works out ... 20% fails but those are good odds. Ask my neighbor ... you learn anything sitting there .... answer is always ....... NO .....

G.W

Reaction score
Looks like a pretty nice kart! Like your tire choice, too bad about DH breaking it. You did a nice job on it!
Another thing is I don't think I'd be doing all the safety work and the bigger engine if he hadn't broken it. The tires that where on this where slicks, and old turf tires on the front. I prefer the aggressive V tread because it gives great grip. I want to eventually take this out to the sand dunes and tear it up out there.

G.W

Reaction score
Now that I've thought about it, this go kart is gonna be what I dreamed of it being when I started. When I started I wanted a 420 predator or a gx360 honda. It will have the 459cc predator which is what is more than what I dreamed of.

G.W

Reaction score
The good thing about being a certified welder is your stuff won't come apart. The bad part of being a certified welder is your stuff won't come apart when you want it to. I fought with trying to brake my welds, so I finally pulled out the angle grinder and started cutting the plate out. I have alot of grinding to do now.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Welds better not break! And make that new mount heavy duty! The new engine is a lot of beef to be hanging back there.
A 40 series cvt and a 6:1 ratio should make that thing a little monster. Able to take on all terrain, hills, mud and sand! You should buy a welder and teach yourself to weld first though! It will be the best tool you own!

G.W

Reaction score
Welds better not break! And make that new mount heavy duty! The new engine is a lot of beef to be hanging back there.
A 40 series cvt and a 6:1 ratio should make that thing a little monster. Able to take on all terrain, hills, mud and sand! You should buy a welder and teach yourself to weld first though! It will be the best tool you own!
Did you not see the "certified welder" part. Those welds where mine, and they are Dimes. I have stick welding certificates, and I'll be starting on tig certificates. I also have a welder of my own.

G.W

Reaction score
And a cvt is the plan down the road. Right now im just going for affordable and durable, so I'm going to order a centrifugal clutch.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
And a cvt is the plan down the road. Right now im just going for affordable and durable, so I'm going to order a centrifugal clutch.
From experience (40 years), a centrifugal clutch is a waste of time and money. Go to the Jungle store and get a cheap kit. It’s not that much more money. Do it once and do it right. Just throw away the belt that comes with the kit (they are junk) and get a Genuine Comet Belt!!!

G.W

Reaction score
From experience (40 years), a centrifugal clutch is a waste of time and money. Go to the Jungle store and get a cheap kit. It’s not that much more money. Do it once and do it right. Just throw away the belt that comes with the kit (they are junk) and get a Genuine Comet Belt!!!
I know that a centrifugal clutch isn't going to be the best especially for the high hp engine. I simply just can't afford a cvt. I am currently paying my dad for a car, and am trying to fork out what money I can by doing side jobs but I just want to get it running first.

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Denny's givin' ya some good advise (he knows stuff) :thumbsup:
...at least the stuff he remembers :ROFLMAO:

FYI: A cen. clutch needs to "lock up" (engage) quickly
...& then, stay "locked up"

*If the slip much they "eat up" the clutch material real fast
...& I've seen clutches on yard karts, with big wheels get "burn up" on the (1st) run :mad2:

IMO clutches are best for racing
...just stomp on 'er
...& go like heck WOT :auto:

G.W

Reaction score
Denny's givin' ya some good advise (he knows stuff) :thumbsup:
...at least the stuff he remembers :ROFLMAO:

FYI: A cen. clutch needs to "lock up" (engage) quickly
...& then, stay "locked up"

*If the slip much they "eat up" the clutch material real fast
...& I've seen clutches on yard karts, with big wheels get "burn up" on the (1st) run :mad2:

IMO clutches are best for racing
...just stomp on 'er
...& go like heck WOT :auto:
The clutch material has never worn out on me, it's usually the bushings, but if I keep them old they last for a long while

BaconBitRacing

Reaction score
The clutch material has never worn out on me, it's usually the bushings, but if I keep them old they last for a long while
What‘s the tire size on this kart? Some classic live axle karts came out the factory with cen. clutches, but they had small tires and lightweight designs, like cage-less Streakers. I’ve never seen a kart with suspension and a cen. clutch.

Thepartsguy

Reaction score
Buy the cvt up front for $45 and instead of buying a clutch at all spend the clutch money on a genuine belt. your less then 100$ into a cvt.. OR do it like I do the smort way! Spend 60$ on a clutch now and 100$ on a cvt later and be $160+ shipping into stuff and leave the clutch set in the garage.