Exhaust building 101....

Status
Not open for further replies.

freakboy

the names 'mater
Reaction score
Since there are so many people moding there engines with strait pipes but then someone brings up back pressure i am going to make a quick how to make a exhaust.. i got most of this information from Heymow.com

1.Make the pipe longer then you will think you need it then paint the pipe with normal paint.. Run the engine for a while untill the paint starts burning off. Then cut the pipe 1 inch away from were the paint is still on. This ensures your pipe isnt longer then it should be thus slowing the gasses down when they are leaving the pipe.

2. Make the inside of the pipe the same size as the exhaust port or a little larger. You dont want it smaller that will restrict flow and hurt performance..

3. The more bends in a pipe the slower the gasses will come out.... that should be a obvious one... in the bend one side will be crimped in a little(if you bent a pipe you know what im talking about) Which may hurt the exhaust gasses leaving.

Im probaly forgetting something so post below if you want.

EDIT:TO GET OFF THE TOPIC OF 2 STROKES NEEDING BACK PRESSURE THIS IS FOR 4 CYCLE MOTORS ONLY!

freakboy

the names 'mater
Reaction score
ok when the paint is burnt off chop it one inch into the burnt from the edge of the unburnt.

anderkart

Reaction score
Yep good point suburban, for karts with stock cams I think freakboys strait pipe info is fine.

The down-loadable program I linked was only intended for those that have instaled a race cam and want to build their own 3-stage header to match their cams profile information.

Reaction score
i dont kno about back pressure but i do kno that you dont wan cold air gettin to the hot valve when you shut it down, thats where freakboy's technique comes into play

Russ2251

AZUSA:Powered by LAWN-BOY
Reaction score
Link refers to high performance multi-cylinder engines and doesn't prove or disprove anything.
I've run engines with no exhaust whatsoever (just pouring out of the block) for many summers with no ill effect to engine in any way.
By the time any damage is realized...engine will be worn out anyway or will have been changed to something newer or more powerful. I have a garage full of low hour engines simply because I wanted something else. Virtually all of them have been badly abused and still run like factory new.
Don't go by what you heard on any subject. Use your own experiences. Don't ask your friends...they're dumber than you are.

snowman69

Reaction score
So if "no engine technically need back pressure" go and take the complete exhaust off a 2 stroke engine please. When you do that tell me how it runs.
2 stroke engines NEED back pressure to run properly.

robbie

Reaction score
I just want to point out that I wasn't trying to prove or disprove the theory about burning the exhaust valves. I thought the page I found was an interesting discussion, and I pretty much drew the same conclusion that you have, Russ.

I think it's also worth pointing out that the original post seems to be aimed at four stroke engines. 2 strokes don't behave the same way when it comes to exhaust pressure. But I'm pretty sure that's not what he was talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.