electric start, no alternator!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jblankster

Reaction score
ok well im contemplating what enging to get for my new street legal go kart project. and i need an electric start and a alternator for headlights and whatnot. but the one i was looking at ( http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-16-HP-ELEC-...ryZ79670QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem ) said it had electric start but NO alternator. can some one help me find a engine with 16 or more hp with an electric start and alternator for that price?

i need 16+ hp because my goal is to make a 70 mph go kart (i only weigh 175 pounds)

which brings me to my next question

i need some sort of transmission. but i cant find anything. i see these shigter karts with 6 speed manuals but i cant find them anyware. i need either a auto or a manual transmission. again where can i find this?

and for my frame, i wanted to get that $600 kit from northern tool. if its not strong enough if i were to re enforce it somewhat (mounting plate, driveshaft etc.) would it be able to handle that hp.?

thank you :)

ps. moderators lock my project diesel thread because im not doing that anymore.

GoAlterBridge

Reaction score
I couldn't find any high HP engines with alternators; What if you use a 12 Volt battery?
On gokartforums, I once saw a go kart thread about a kart that used a vertical shaft drive lawnmower engine, with a belt that converted it to horizontal drive, and went directly to a small cars manual transmission the guy picked up for $200 at a junk yard. It had GREAT speed, was a simple design, and even had reverse. I think he used a 15-17 HP lawnmower engine.
If I'm thinking of the same gokart kit on northern as you, I don't think the frame could stand that much horsepower, even with reinforcements.

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Check RYF's go kart build on this site for a *****in' large HP kart.

Jblankster

Reaction score
ive seen his kart, but how could i do that wit a horizontal shaft? and i dont really want it more than a foot off the ground. well would higher be better? its gonna be fast (hopefully) and street legal, woud higher be better for on road use?

Status
Not open for further replies.