Electric gokart project

Status
Not open for further replies.

koolaidman3

Reaction score
Hey guys, im new. This summer im thinking about making an electric gokart. I want to make it as simplistic as possible. I guess the game plan is to get a reliable motor 5-10 hp, appropriate deep cycle batteries of appropriate volts and amps no more than 7450w, and build a very simple frame from iron piping. Id gear it for very high torque and lower top speed. One of my main questions is whether i can run the motor off just the batteries without a controller. The reason for this is that electric motors supply the same amount of torque at any rpm. So, granted it would not be as smooth to drive, but if the motor accepts it, i dont really see the need for a controller. suggestions?

ed1380

Banned
Reaction score
if you'd power it straight from the batteries you'd roast your tires especially if it was geared for torque

SloS13

Reaction score
Why Iron? It's gonna weigh a good bit and isn't the most ideal material for welding... And I would seriously consider a controller. From a stop, a 10hp geared for torque would either spin the tires, give you whiplash or pop up the front tires.

gocartkid

Bad Attitude
Reaction score
Just found this thread, and now I'm interested. What would be a good motor for an electric kart and where would I go about finding one? I like this guy's idea, it would be an awesome kart just to toy with. Would it be possible to direct power from the batteries to an push-button (not toggle) on/off switch near the driver and then to the engine? Then you just tap the switch when you want speed. Seems interesting, I may look into it.

carbon

Electric Dreamer
Reaction score
use a golf cart motor
get a used one that can no longer power two fat guys on a heavy golf cart plus clubs, but still has enough life left to push a small kart and a driver. and no golf clubs

Status
Not open for further replies.