Duromax Dies after Riding for 30 Minutes or so

MrGentry

Reaction score
I have a 7 HP Duromax engine with electric start. I've replaced exhaust, air filter, and jetted carb, but after riding the go-kart for a bit (30 minutes or so) the engine will shut off. After it sits for a few seconds to a minute it will fire back up and run for another few minutes and then do the same thing again. I've tried 2 different jets, changed the emulsion tube, changed the low speed jet, but nothing seems to fix the issue. I haven't modified the gas tank/cap so it shouldn't be vapor lock, but I am not sure what the issue is. my next thought was maybe the coil was getting to hot, but if that was the case I don't know why it would fire back up after a few seconds/minutes. Any ideas?

redflash

Reaction score
Does it still have the "low oil" sensor inside, or did you remove it. If it's still there, you may be just low on oil. It could be just re-starting when all the oil drains back into the crankcase.

Da Flash

Rat

Reaction score
Does it still have the "low oil" sensor inside, or did you remove it. If it's still there, you may be just low on oil. It could be just re-starting when all the oil drains back into the crankcase.

Da Flash
^ This

Also it could be a faulty ignition coil. I've seen it time and time again where a failing coil will run fine until the heat soak geats at it. Not sure why it's an issue, but I know it is a common one on everything from motorcycles to lawnmowers. I salvaged a 70's QT50 with the same issue, and made a quick 200 off a guy that couldn't keep his Polaris 550 running

MrGentry

Reaction score

Da Flash
I left the sensor in the block, but I disconnected it.
Also it could be a faulty ignition coil. I've seen it time and time again where a failing coil will run fine until the heat soak geats at it. Not sure why it's an issue, but I know it is a common one on everything from motorcycles to lawnmowers. I salvaged a 70's QT50 with the same issue, and made a quick 200 off a guy that couldn't keep his Polaris 550 running
How can I determine it is the coil that's at fault?

Rat

Reaction score
I left the sensor in the block, but I disconnected it.

How can I determine it is the coil that's at fault?
The easiest most guaranteed method is getting a replacement coil.
If it fixes the issue Great, if it doesn't well then they're cheap enough it's not a big loss and now you have a spare and an issue to track down.

The only other thing I can think of is a bad seal or something cracked that allows a leak only when hot... seen that one thousands of times but mostly only on 2t engines

MrGentry

Reaction score
The easiest most guaranteed method is getting a replacement coil.
If it fixes the issue Great, if it doesn't well then they're cheap enough it's not a big loss and now you have a spare and an issue to track down.

The only other thing I can think of is a bad seal or something cracked that allows a leak only when hot... seen that one thousands of times but mostly only on 2t engines
Any recommendations for a good coil?