Down time

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry we were down from around 9pm CST to 8am CST. Some database updates went screwy after I went to sleep. I hit it with some WD-40 this morning first thing, and we're good to go again! :wai:

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
Yeah. WD-40 is NOT a lubricant it just displaces water. It is only a temporary fix and you will have this problem again. Find a quality lubricant.:roflol:

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh Robert while we're here...
you ticked the box for the swearwords again to be replaced even if part of a larger word...

****el engines are now forbidden in here ( as will numerous other usefull or at least interesting stuff)

X - legs, W-ankles... *shrugs*

please refix that ;)

'sid

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
Oh Robert while we're here...
you ticked the box for the swearwords again to be replaced even if part of a larger word...

****el engines are now forbidden in here ( as will numerous other usefull or at least interesting stuff)

X - legs, W-ankles... *shrugs*

please refix that ;)

'sid

Yeah....one thing I gotta say about that.....when we go there....the kids that get it....already know it.....so while it may not be the best example to set....we aren't exactly exposing innocents to vulgarity.....only reinforcing bad behavior among juvenile delinquents.....some of whom will turn 59 in December....:rolleyes:

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
What I'm trying to say is.. there are perfectly harmless words containing -uhm doubted?- letter combinations for no other reason than lingustic coincidence.

Felix W'ankel for example was a fine engineer and craftsman;
he deserves better than being reduced to such unfortunate coincidence.. ;)

'sid

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
What I'm trying to say is.. there are perfectly harmless words containing -uhm doubted?- letter combinations for no other reason than lingustic coincidence.

Felix W'ankel for example was a fine engineer and craftsman;
he deserves better than being reduced to such unfortunate coincidence.. ;)

'sid

Hmmmmm.....this is quite the pickle.....:lolgoku:

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
Not sure of the other examples but W'ankle has been a banned word long before yesterday. Desert Dueler has been struggling with that at least since the start of this build off. But Doug gets away with Prick all the time. Yes quite the Pickle.
BTW. I have a foul mouth at work and in my shop. but take pride in the fact that this is a "clean" site and we respect other people and their children. It actually makes it fun to expand our vocabulary to get a point across rather than cheating our own intelligence with 4 letter word. IMHO it is a bummer for Mr ****el. but one of those bummers that is worth it for the betterment of this forum.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
I fully agree except to that:
IMHO it is a bummer for Mr ****el. but one of those bummers that is worth it for the betterment of this forum.

well I read Bret's posts in real time (more or less) and read several dozen times about his felix rotary engines without it being censored.

And since it's easy to to censor anker anking and ank without affecting ankel or anything else it's definitely NOT WORTH ruining a great thread full of knowledge and information.

'sid

OzFab

Reaction score
But Doug gets away with Prick all the time. Yes quite the Pickle.

Personally, I've never noticed that word, I mustn't be paying attention...

Prick is one of those "double meaning" words, there's a whole bunch of those; cock is another (ironically)...

However, the word in question is rather insulting in some parts of the world & is misused in other parts so, when those who misuse it, in fun, it's taken as an insult by those who understand its true meaning...

We discussed the W'ankel issue at the time but, obviously, Robert hasn't found a loophole yet...

Status
Not open for further replies.