Do race karts have steering stops?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quinc

Reaction score
Let me start by saying this is my first kart ( I bought it "thrown together" so hopefully the correct parts are in the correct places? I am reading everything I can get my hands on as far as ackermann and camber adjustments etc. . However, after taking apart and adjusting every which possible way I can on my kart I cannot figure this out.

When you steer all the way to the right, the left front wheel has play and will steer an additional 3/4" to the right (without the right wheel moving at all) and I end up pushing the left tire. I have tried multiple adjustments and I cannot get rid of it. So my question is can I adjust this, or do I need to make a steering stop? Appreciate any help! :cheers2:

No idea what an expert would need to see so here is the photo dump :ack2:

Stops when it touches here:

First run on the kart before I started adjusting the steering:

Nine adjustment holes on the steering shaft:

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes race karts (most) hacve some way of limiting the steering angles.

for two VERY important reasons.
1) depending on the exact geometry of the steering, the pitman arm can lock up (irrecoverably)
the tie rod starts to try to move in the opposite direction (the pitman arm describes a circle ;))
and you can only get out of there by lifting the kart from the ground and pulling the inner wheel straight

2) much less deadly: the wheel can touch the frame and upset the kart (recoverable)

Some karts have steering bumpers to prevent that (some at the steering shaft, some at the spindles), some karts just rely on tierod tension to prevent that,
and you can only forcce them into a deadlock by hand.
with the tie rods mounted, move the wheel (inside wheel) to a tighter cornering radius, and observe the steering wheel.. you certainly see that it turns back..
and you cannot release that with the steering wheel.

But it's IMPORTANT to have that in place, since at speed a locked to a tight radius steering is bad, right ;)

'sid

PS Do yourself a favour and cover the battery terminals ;)

65ShelbyClone

Reaction score
That's an oval kart chassis; it's never going to turn right especially well since it was designed to turn left. That's why all the weight and controls are so far to the left side. Sprint karts have everything much more centered for more more neutral handling.

You're also going to need shielded or better yet, sealed front wheel bearings. The open ones you have now won't last long.

EDIT: To answer the question, my sprint chassis does not have steering stops, but the geometry doesn't allow it to get stuck either. I can get a picture if it would help.

jandj

Reaction score
There's hope, just keep in mind that they're talking about precise setups and prepped tires for racing applications.
Not to say you can't make it work better than it is now for just farting but around but these guys are looking at a competition oriented result on a specific course.

Quinc

Reaction score
There's hope, just keep in mind that they're talking about precise setups and prepped tires for racing applications.
Not to say you can't make it work better than it is now for just farting but around but these guys are looking at a competition oriented result on a specific course.

I appreciate the help and advise. I am also keeping an eye out and will hopefully pick up the correct kart for my needs before too long.

Since I have no idea what I am doing I am going to start with the rear axle setup like this:

Status
Not open for further replies.