DNF - 2020 - $25 kart build entry

cheap_thrills

Reaction score
Here is my entry. I picked up the red kart (which I am still trying to identify) and orange kart (pretty sure homemade) for $50 (hence $25 kart entry). My pick for the build is going to be the orange one. I bought both of these, and a box of misc. parts last year and they hung on the back of my shed, until this past Saturday 4/4/2020. The red one is pretty good shape, so I'm am just going to slap some new wheels, tires, and drivetrain on it and call it a day. The red kart will be for my wife, the orange for me, and currently my 11 yr old rides around on an old Carter live axel kart (The Rebel).
Quick run down of the kart now. Its a live axle frame, that appears to have been modified (things removed, things added) over the years. The frame is also cracked behind the side hoop, the gas pedal is bent, and someone added some makeshift disc brake set up on it (which I'll be ditching). Also, after some grinding around on things, it appears to have been painted black originally. So, basically I am going to strip it of anything it doesn't need, and start fresh with restoring it with everything it does need. I have a GX160 I think I'll go with, or an older 5.5 B&S, but the B&S I would have to get running first. So, leaning more towards the GX160. I also want to make a seat mounted fuel tank for it also. Hope everyone enjoys my build, thanks!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    380.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    435.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    478.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    305.5 KB · Views: 21

cheap_thrills

Reaction score
Day 1-2 setup to tear down "Evil,Mean, and Nasty"

As you can see I have the kart up on an auto body panel stand, and the red kart hanging, next in line. I began cutting away the seat to relocate it back a few inches, I'm 5'11". It was definitely set up originally, for a youth rider, that's for sure .You can see a close up after I wire brushed the crack in the frame where someone "attempted" to weld that crack. I continued on with removing the disc brake system, pedals, and the diamond plate aluminum plate from the floor pan. Check out the sticker on the back of the seat " Evil, Mean, and Nasty", lol.. somehow that phrase has to find its way back on to the kart:2guns: I finished off that session with chasing the threads on the axel and front spindles, and soaking the rear wheels with some penetrating oil. I suspect they will still require some "persuasion" to come completely off

Attachments

• 34.jpg
    34.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 26.jpg
    26.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 8
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 12
  • 33.jpg
    33.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 31.jpg
    31.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 30.jpg
    30.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 6

cheap_thrills

Reaction score
Day 3 update

Manage to get the rear aluminum wheels off, but unfortunately they needed a lot of persuasion to come off. So, neither of them survived. However, the brake disc did come off fairly easy all considering. Because, after removing the wheels I had a few high spots on the axle from pinging it with a hammer a couple times, from missing the wheels lol. A file made some quick work of flattening them though, so I could remove the disc. I'm going to be ordering a new disc brake kit along with some 5" wheels (thinking of the same 2 piece aluminum ones that came off of it), by the weeks end. What are some tire suggestions to compliment aluminum wheels such as these?

Attachments

• 40.jpg
    40.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 39.jpg
    39.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 38.jpg
    38.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 37.jpg
    37.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 7

Smerft85

Reaction score
Those look similar to my manco aluminum wheels, they are no longer in production so you may be limited to buying used from Ebay or local ads, or getting some aftermarket aluminum split wheels, but they are usually pricey from what I've seen. Both of your frames also appear to be manco if you were curious, based off the pedals mainly along with the wheels.

Joe-405

Enjoying New Projects
Reaction score
The Azusa tri star wheel looks exactly like those but they are pricey.

cheap_thrills

Reaction score
I found out how pricey they are lol. But I honestly think I still may go with that style of wheel despite the price factor. And another member did identify the red one as Manco 400, and I wouldnt have a clue on the orange one. I think it began as a one wheel wonder, and looks like the flangettes and their bracing were added later.

---------- Post added at 01:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:08 PM ----------

Joe-405, I did see the Azusa tri-stars that are still available. I have them in my cart on BMIkarts, and may just pull the trigger.

cheap_thrills

Reaction score
*update*

Played around with steering wheel options, and I am really liking the flat bottom steering wheel. Also, began wire brushing and stripping the frame down over the weekend. It is really cleaning up nice. Next up on the list is some new wheels, sprocket and disc brake kit. I have some mismatch wheels that I am going to use to mock everything up with and have it back down on the ground, so I can mark for relocating the seat position. After that its a final disassembly, paint, and reassembly!

Attachments

• 47.jpg
    47.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 48.jpg
    48.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 49.jpg
    49.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 50.jpg
    50.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 10

Karts of Kaos

the many mowers guy
Reaction score
me being commentator: Oh wow cheap thrills takes an early lead and, my it looks like Mr_mcrib212's kart has had some major malfunctions and the tires fell off. cheep thrills for the win.:roflol:

cheap_thrills

Reaction score
Update... Parts have arrived!!!

Been a few since I have had something to report on. As you see it is how it sits, with mocking the seat location up. But I finally got my parts in, to move on to the next phase of my build. New Azusa 3 spoke style wheels, clutch, sprocket and hub, and a mechanical brake. Friends.. we may just be seeing a roller in action this weekend. From working on it last I do think I will have to relocate the engine mount to fit the GX160, that I'm fairly certain I am going to go with.

I need some help from you all though, I am torn deciding a color to paint this thing. Although the bare metal, simplistic look is growing on (in a post apocalyptic way lol), I think this thing deserves some paint. I am leaning toward a "grabber" green color, but what are some suggestion you all might have?

Attachments

• 52.jpg
    52.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 53.jpg
    53.jpg
    300.9 KB · Views: 10

cheap_thrills

Reaction score
Update

Well I did not get a chance to touch the go kart over the weekend due to having to install upper and lower ball joints on my truck (dana 60 axel). However, last night I did get some tinker time in on the ole girl. I temporarily installed the axel to mock the sprocket up to the engine, and cut my 5' of chain to length (ps, for whatever reason, I was on the struggle bus with reinstalling the master link clip lol, it kicked my butt).
But everything is mocking up rather nicely. I has some bent tubing lying around, so I welded up a free flowing exhaust :). And I am digging the 3 spoke wheels, despite no rubber yet. Next on the list is reinstalling the pedals and linkages, and getting the fitment of the new brake system laid out. Land Use had suggested "yellow" for a paint option, and I have to tell you, the more I think about that combo with the wheels, the more yellow is saying hello! LOL!

Attachments

• 56.jpg
    56.jpg
    373.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 57.jpg
    57.jpg
    373.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 58.jpg
    58.jpg
    336.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 54.jpg
    54.jpg