DIY front Spindled

Millwright

Reaction score
So I was hoping to purchase some spindles. Suppliers in Canada Seem to be far and few between. Anything on line was charging more for shipping than the parts were worth. SOOOOO....
I made my own.
I think they are serviceable, but a little heavier than bought ones.
Now that I have mounting points for all 4 wheels, frame build can start.

Attachments

• 20210706_194515.jpg
    20210706_194515.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 23
  • 20210706_202327.jpg
    20210706_202327.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 23

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
You ever do any iron connecting? When I was throwing iron beams and columns into the air we always had to connect vertical tie points with the nut on top. That was so if the nut came off the bolt would fall out if possible, and an inspector could see from a distance below that a bolt was missing.
You've got a kingpin bolt upside down in your pics, that's why I ask. In operation that needs to be reversed, last thing you want is a kingpin to fall out at speed so a wheel can fall off.
Kudos on making some genuinely strong stuff, never seen spindles that beefy on a gokart.

Millwright

Reaction score
Ya I know exactly what you mean.
At this point, never gave it a thought. It's all just mock-up and collecting the bits and pieces. I'll probably have everything apart and back together several times before I call her done.
I Appreciate the input.

Millwright

Reaction score
I will likely be trimming off the excess thread and locking the nut with weld.

Millwright

Reaction score
Lol, I'm not an Iron worker. Currently employed as a Metal fabricator, used to be a union millwright.
Poor ironworkers did not get a lot of respect.
"Laborers with welding tickets"

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Sawdite! I can tell you know that crazy bunch should get at least a little respect. I ran all over the Southeast for a couple of years connecting iron. Even got famous, people I never met knew my name. My boss on the Miami jobs, Bob Caldwell, even pimped me out to another contractor who asked for me to build a condo model for him. Charged him $600 to borrow me 3 days. Got it done in 1.