DIY Drill Sharpening

Status
Not open for further replies.

OzFab

Reaction score
Pat (machinist@large) & I discussed this subject some time ago &, yesterday, I had reason to sharpen a drill bit so, I decided to shoot a vid of the process...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chpk8h7OJJY&feature=youtu.be

As I mentioned in the vid, this is NOT how to precision sharpen drills, it's for DIY purposes only...

One or two points I forgot to mention in the vid:
- the overall angle of the tip cutting edges is ~60°
- to make life easier, scribe a line on the bench grinder tool rest as a reference or even make a gauge from a piece of 3mm (1/8") scrap; upon request I can provide a cutting template for said guide...

In the description on YT, I also added

I keep referring to "the flute". This is incorrect as the flutes are the hollow channels of the drill bit. The term I should have used is the relief area behind the cutting edge...

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
Ummm..I bought a Drill Doctor years ago. You can sharpen 50+ bits in under an hour.

You can find BROKEN drill bits and resharpen them. As a journeyman carpenter, I've found this tool to repay it's initial cost 100 times over.

OzFab

Reaction score
Good for you, Doug but, would you be able to sharpen a bit without it?

Like many of us, I don't have a drill sharpening tool, I rely on my bench grinder; I've even been known to sharpen a drill bit using an angle grinder...

It may have been some time ago but, this was actually requested by fellow members...

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Nice, informative video.

I have sharpened bits many times, didn't have much success.

In my experience a DIY sharpened bit may work for wood or plastic but, not so good for metal.

I didn't know or think about the tilt up trick. :thumbsup:

It seemed to walk right thru the piece of metal in your video.

I'm a gonna try it!

Thanks. :cheers2:

Information, we want information. :2guns:

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Boy, I wish I spoke Australian. I could not understand a word you said. :lolgoku: That is the same way my neighbor taught me 40 years ago, now he could sharpen a drill bit! I did ok doing it that way but when I got the Drill Doctor, Oh Boy! :wai:

Denny

Mr. Spindle

Reaction score
Good for you, Doug but, would you be able to sharpen a bit without it?

Like many of us, I don't have a drill sharpening tool, I rely on my bench grinder; I've even been known to sharpen a drill bit using an angle grinder...

It may have been some time ago but, this was actually requested by fellow members...

Like many, many of us!!! ;)

pearl111

Reaction score
I have used bench grinders, files not to good though. I know the drill doctor is a little pricey but I got one today from home depot. WOW its worth every penny. If you can afford it don't pass it up. They are quick fast and sharpen bits better then the ones you buy new.

Status
Not open for further replies.