DIY bucket seat

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHen

Reaction score
is it possible to make my own bucket seat

Yes.

I'm planning this out and am going to use a piece of 16 gauge sheet metal.

First step is to get a tailor's tape measure. These can be had at walmart for less than 2 bucks. It is a flexible one, meant for going around contours and such. Measure yourself! Measure from about two inches from behind your knees to the tailbone. Then measure from the tailbone to the C7 veritbrae. This is the one that is between your shoulders and points out a little at the base of the neck. Mark this number down.

Next, measure from one hip around your butt to the next. Add a few inches, about 3-5 depending on how bucket like you want it to be.

Now, get your piece of material, metal in this case. Mark a spot in the center. This is your center point area, which is roughly where your tailbone will point to. Now, mark a center line going from this out as far as you measured for the back or for you legs and vise versa. You should have your center point, and a short line for the legs and a long line for you back. Next, perpendicular to this line, mark another that is your hip measurement. Now, draw rounded out shape that connects these lines together at their end points.

Cut this shape out. Cold chisel, jig saw, recipricating saw, band saw, plasma cutter, oxy-acetyline, take your pic. Deburr the edges if necessary.

Now, get a stump with a hollowed out section or something else as suitable and a hammer. Begin to hammer the metal at the center point going along the lines you've made. This is called dishing. It will begin to bend the metal. Just keep going this all along until it reaches the shape you want. Roll the edges to add strength and avoid cutting yourself later on the edges.

I got this idea from making armor. Here are some videos that show dishing and rolling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tL-pSRbq4g

It making armor, but the same process is used in this method. This is how I plan on making my seat. This method also requires a little practice.

Flexibel_kampfe

Hopeful for building kart
Reaction score
:iagree:
You may want to use a propane blow torch(reason is that it wont cut through the metal) to heat the work piece, so that it is more maliable.... But it might be cheaper/easier just to buy one....

devino246

Official DIYGK Chem Nerd
Reaction score
You could make one out of some fiberglass mat. Make a mold out of Styrofoam and cover it with resin and layers of mat.

The_Machine

Reaction score
just buy a fiberglass kart racing seat off ebay for 35 bucks. that's what I did. weighs less than a pound. i respect DIY but weight is not something I am going to sacrifice this time around.

rgvkid

Charlie Don't Surf!
Reaction score
I had thought about this in the past. Does anyone know where i could find a seat pattern to use to cut out of a sheet and fold up to form the shape?

Flexibel_kampfe

Reaction score
What you could do, is make a form... then get some of that spray insulation foam... spray it within the form(there should be a gap within..) then when its dry, peel off the forms, and presto, a light weight seat.... but be careful.. it could be flamable...

jace

Reaction score
i was thinking something like fibre glass sheets and make a mold and press the sheets into the mold then use some of that camping foam and some 3m spray adhesive to make it cusiony

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
There are a few guys that have used school-style plastic stacking chairs- the non-folding type with the metal legs. In fact, have a look in our "For Sale" section. Someone was offering several of them up recently. Drill out the rivets and remove the legs. Bang. Seat. Now- Here's a cheap trick. You can make sides out of aluminum or steel sheet, and rivet them to the side flange these seats usually have. Add your favorite padding, 'way go go. Probably your cheapest and easiest option.
Cute tute, Jhen- Thanks!

newrider3

Reaction score
He asked if he could build his own seat. Obviously he can if he can read plans. Hell, if he is inclined, he could build them just by measuring his arse and looking at the pics.

Flexibel_kampfe

Reaction score
He asked if he could build his own seat. Obviously he can if he can read plans. Hell, if he is inclined, he could build them just by measuring his arse and looking at the pics.

Okay.... for a second I thought perhaps you were just being a roaming Ad... sorry.... I sometimes notice that on forums, people that just post a link are usually stock holder/beneficaries of that store/link...

Status
Not open for further replies.