DIY 5 speed shifter kart

Thelegg

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new to this forum but not new to go karts. After recently building a grass track around my field for my GX200 powered kart I decided I wanted something faster. I decided I wanted something with gears so set about trying to find a bike engine, found someone local that was scrapping a bike with a 150cc lifan engine so grabbed it quick.
Spent the next month trying to find a suitable kart frame and eventually managed to get one for £90. This is as far as I've got so far but updates coming soon :)

Attachments

• received_679016049262972.jpeg
    received_679016049262972.jpeg
    161.7 KB · Views: 97
  • received_777727929299783.jpg
    received_777727929299783.jpg
    427.4 KB · Views: 97

Thelegg

Reaction score
Got abit more done, stripped and cleaned the carb on the bike. Then put in some fresh fuel and it fired first kick. Hooked up a battery and tried to sort out the electric start but no luck, it's been crashed at some point so some of the wires are ripped off so will sort that at a later date.

Turned my attention to stripping down parts of the kart, moved the pedals round and added in a 3rd pedal for the clutch. Had to add in an extra bar so I could move the brake master cylinder over as well. Next I realised that the brake caliper mount wasn't correct for the frame so had to modify/weld it.

Got the engine and loom removed from the bike and got it roughly fitted onto the kart but it takes up alot of space so I'm gonna have to have the seat offset and fit a UJ to the steering column so I can change the angle to match the seat.

Not much else to report apart from buying some 6" diameter rims and some big turf tyres

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

Thelegg

Reaction score
Thanks :) Yeah I think someone sanded it down to paint it but then never did, my plan is to get it all together and working then strip n paint it :)

Joe-405

Enjoying New Projects
Reaction score
Your pedals are on the wrong sides..........oh wait. Never mind :)

Great job so far.

Thelegg

Reaction score
Not much to update really been mega busy with other things, got a new seat for free 😁 it already has holes for weight saving ;)

Probably won't be any more updates for a while as my other go kart has developed a fault n won't rev very high so will be focusing my time on changing the stock carb over to a mikuni . So if anyone has any tips feel free to share

Cheers

Thelegg

Reaction score
Time for an update :)

Got the axle bolted In properly and fitted new key ways in everything so it's all secure and lined up, chucked the rear wheels on and clearance is abit tight against the kick start.....ooops. not worried too much tho as will be electric start once finished.
Cut the chain to size and tensioned it up.

Made a start on moving the steering wheel over, got the UJ welded in and the original support welded up in the new location but it need an extra brace as it still wobbles about so will add that in next time.

Thelegg

Reaction score
Little update. Mounted the seat and connected up the clutch and throttle cables to the pedals also made another support for the steering column

Kent

Reaction score
Willits, California (Northern California)
I asked this in a separate post but I will ask you as you are actually building a bike engine/shifter style kart. Will you need a chain tensioner added???

In your opinion could the engine be mounted further back so the seat does not have to be so offset? Maybe it would require stretching the rear frame back a little to move the engine and axle back? What do you think?

Thelegg

Reaction score
I asked this in a separate post but I will ask you as you are actually building a bike engine/shifter style kart. Will you need a chain tensioner added???

In your opinion could the engine be mounted further back so the seat does not have to be so offset? Maybe it would require stretching the rear frame back a little to move the engine and axle back? What do you think?
When I started planning my build I had planned on using a tensioner but when actually mounting the engine onto the kart I soon discovered that if I made the front mounts slotted vertically I could tension the chain by pivoting the engine via the rear mount hope that makes sense.

If the frame was slightly longer it would definitely be possible to mount the engine behind the seat which is exactly how my other kart is that has a gx200 engine. The engine is mounted above the axle, the only problem I can see with this setup with a bike engine is that the bike engine is taller so it would be sitting very high up if it was mounted above an axle. Feel free to ask any other questions :)

Kent

Reaction score
Willits, California (Northern California)
Thanks for responding. I think I understand what your saying. The pics really help. Your kart looks very good to me. Looking at your pics it seems like I'd have to move the engine back about 12" to get the motor lined up behind the seat. I would look into stretching back enough to keep the axle out from under the motor so maybe the motor could be kept lower.

I don't know if it's a good idea or not. It might effect other things I'm not aware of with the longer wheelbase.

We will be watching for your updates......good luck

Thelegg

Reaction score
Done abit more on the kart this morning, started making the shifter for it. Used some spare parts from my classic mini lol working out rather well so far 😁

Thelegg

Reaction score
Time for another update :)
Finished off my shifter mechanism and it goes through the gears lovely, also added a skull gear knob because I can haha.

Fabricated a kinda roll bar for the back mainly to hold the fuel tank as I highly doubt I'll ever flip the kart, also fitted a battery box.

Swapped the front slicks for some wets so should be able to corner when using it on my grass track which shouldn't be far off as I've only got the wiring to do now :)