Design help

patsdeere

Reaction score
I'm new here.

I'm in the process of building a go kart semi truck. Given the uniqueness, my plan is to put the motor up front and then drive back wheels. I had found a YouTube video which I was sort of duplicating, but the video has since been pulled down.

My plan is to use a 6.5-8 HP motor, spin a hydraulic pump and then hose back to the motor above the rear wheels. I know it's not the most efficient, but I'm going for cool, not speed or light weight. I also have articulation in the tractor, so chain or belt I don't think would work well.

Can anybody help me design this? I'm thinking I might have to have a tank, some type of valve to allow me to have reverse and I'm hoping no cooler.

If I'm not giving enough info, holler, I'll see what I can do.

Thanks

panchothedog

Reaction score
Are you an experienced hydraulic mechanic, or maybe a hydraulic engineer?
Your project sounds super COOL. But if you are not at least a competent fabricator with a good amount of experience and access to a pretty complete shop you might be bighting off more than you can handle. The fact that you are already asking for help for what seems like an extremely complex build leads me to believe you are just dreaming out loud. I'm sorry if I sound so negative, but what you are proposing is a complex piece of machinery compared to a
GO KART.

ezcome-ezgo

G'me sumthin to write on
Reaction score
You'll need a tank, really good hoses, a pump with specific output, an engine/motor to run the pump, a hydraulic motor, a valve body to control the direction of flow and all the bits and pieces to make this work. A low speed, high torque hydraulic motor is what I would use, something like this:

BaconBitRacing

Reaction score
I'm new here.

I'm in the process of building a go kart semi truck. Given the uniqueness, my plan is to put the motor up front and then drive back wheels. I had found a YouTube video which I was sort of duplicating, but the video has since been pulled down.

My plan is to use a 6.5-8 HP motor, spin a hydraulic pump and then hose back to the motor above the rear wheels. I know it's not the most efficient, but I'm going for cool, not speed or light weight. I also have articulation in the tractor, so chain or belt I don't think would work well.

Can anybody help me design this? I'm thinking I might have to have a tank, some type of valve to allow me to have reverse and I'm hoping no cooler.

Thanks
hmmm. Complex. What do you mean by articulation in the tractor? A least where I live they look like this.97BE2F46-9C80-4D0A-9D4E-019041E558E6.jpeg

ezcome-ezgo

G'me sumthin to write on
Reaction score
I think he means between the tractor and the trailer. You know, like a truck. Also how did you find a picture of a Peterbilt in Europe somewhere?

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Pictures of what you are trying to do would be helpful. It would not be fast but would be very expensive and probably pull a house down.

patsdeere

Reaction score
hmmm. Complex. What do you mean by articulation in the tractor? A least where I live they look like this.View attachment 136622
Picture a truck going up a driveway from a street. If it was solid, the front drives will float in air as only the rear drives and steers will be touching. I have it designed so that both rears will be in contact. Also, as you turn into said driveway, the whole frame would normally twist, but I've built a pivot point in so the front of the tractor could twist without twisting the frame.

patsdeere

Reaction score
Are you an experienced hydraulic mechanic, or maybe a hydraulic engineer?
Your project sounds super COOL. But if you are not at least a competent fabricator with a good amount of experience and access to a pretty complete shop you might be bighting off more than you can handle. The fact that you are already asking for help for what seems like an extremely complex build leads me to believe you are just dreaming out loud. I'm sorry if I sound so negative, but what you are proposing is a complex piece of machinery compared to a
GO KART.
Not an experienced hydraulic engineer. Know enough about hydraulics to get myself through a repair.

Regarding the shop, yep, pretty decent shop (welders, mills, lathes, plasma cutter and table, etc).

Not dreaming. Trailer 90% done, tractor 50% fabricated.

patsdeere

Reaction score
You'll need a tank, really good hoses, a pump with specific output, an engine/motor to run the pump, a hydraulic motor, a valve body to control the direction of flow and all the bits and pieces to make this work. A low speed, high torque hydraulic motor is what I would use, something like this:

I was a little stumped in this area. I see specs for torque, but really have no idea how much torque I would need/want/be happy with.

BaconBitRacing

Reaction score
Picture a truck going up a driveway from a street. If it was solid, the front drives will float in air as only the rear drives and steers will be touching. I have it designed so that both rears will be in contact. Also, as you turn into said driveway, the whole frame would normally twist, but I've built a pivot point in so the front of the tractor could twist without twisting the frame.
Okay, that makes sense. I would LOVE some pictures, this looks like a really cool project. and Pancho isn’t trying to be rude, he’s just come across lots of people who had bigger dreams than skills or wallet, for that matter.

ezcome-ezgo

G'me sumthin to write on
Reaction score
I was a little stumped in this area. I see specs for torque, but really have no idea how much torque I would need/want/be happy with.
A typical unmodified 212cc engine makes around 8 ft-lbs of torque, or 96 in-lbs. The hydraulic motor I linked produces 221 in-lbs in continuous use.

patsdeere

Reaction score
A typical unmodified 212cc engine makes around 8 ft-lbs of torque, or 96 in-lbs. The hydraulic motor I linked produces 221 in-lbs in continuous use.
Perfect, I think a 6.5 HP engine would do it. I'll look at the motor you referenced, I had pulled a couple of specs from surplus center, don't think I found the one you linked. From there I should be able to figure the pump, just a little math and crossing my fingers.

Now to figure out what valve I'll need. Assuming single piston/valve with bi directional options and open center?

Last edited:

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
You’ll probably need more engine than a 6hp. I’d be thinking more like 420. You will need the grunt power of it more than anything. Pumps don’t like to be spun fast, usually about 2200 rpm max or they have a tendency to puke their guts out all over the place.

patsdeere

Reaction score
I'm new here.

Thanks
A couple of pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_20230316_214827348.jpg
    IMG_20230316_214827348.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20230226_134518099.jpg
    IMG_20230226_134518099.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 6