CVT carnage

gegcorp2012

Reaction score
Took my Yard Kart out for a spin today, and was starting to lean on it pretty good and all of the sudden, a loud noise and the motor rapped up to 4650 and quit abruptly.

I figured I had wrapped the chain, so I clicked through the tachometer screens and that is where I saw the new max RPM (unloaded, of course).

When I got off the seat to take a look, here's what I saw:

I walked to the shop and got tools to take the driven clutch off so I could get the chain and belt untangled.

Ever see a chain and the CVT belt try to swap places ?

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Kartorbust

Reaction score
That's a cool magic trick. It sucks, kind of curious what went wrong and how to fix that problem for the future.

gegcorp2012

Reaction score
Its a Yamaha Warrior 350 rear.

There was one thing worth mentioning. I think I may have spilled some gas on the belt when filling before I took it for the ride.

It was lurching a bit or "jumpy" when taking off but it smoothed out with speed, so I did a couple of stop/starts, and then wailed into a powerslide around the driveway, and it seemed OK, so ran it on the yard track a couple of laps then to the woods.

I was going about 15-18 mph and doing a "s" turn to dodge a fallen tree branch and thats when it just locked up.

It is a clone CVT with a 7" driven pulley and nearly new Comet belt. The new pulley and belt have around 10 hrs on them, since I swapped these parts in just before New Year 2020 and put the kart up for Feb and March due to rain and some work I was doing on the brakes.

The belt was about half way into the driven pulley, and I had to go in and get it, so the driven spring seems to be OK.

The sheaves on the drive clutch are noticibly scratched up, you can feel the marks where the chain was riding in the belts place for an instant.

Think it would be ok to just file down the drive/driven sheaves and run it ?

Will take a look inside the drive clutch Thanks for the tip.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk