• OFF TOPIC fun forum - NO politics - NO religion - NO jerks. It's not complicated. Thanks!

Craigslist scam?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kendelrk

redneck engineer
Reaction score
So i received an identical looking dirt bike to mine from a friend who said he no longer wanted it, and to sell it and split the money with him. i put the ad up for around 500 and got an email just a day later, i just got this email and i think its a scam, what about you guys?

Hello,
Thanks you so much for the quick reply to my email. I will purchase
the item from you and will be adding $45 extra for the item asking
price,so please kindlywithdraw the advert from CRAIGSLIST and i will
be paying you via bank certified check from my Bank and the payment
will be delivered to you via Fedex next-day and i will like you to get
back to me with the following information to facilitate the mailing
out the check to you... .I will need the below details to mail the
payment as soon as possible.

Name to be on the Check
Home or office address(No P.O.BOX)___
City__State__Zip Code_______________
Phone Numbers_____________________

FYI:You will not be responsible for the shipping of the item..and I
will have my mover come over for the pick up as soon as you have the
check cashed at your bank,and i will get back to you once my secretary
made the payment out to you immediately.

Thanks.

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Megascam. That is exactly the reason I do NOT list items for sale on CL. I got tired of the BS. I will buy stuff on CL, but not sell.

Think about that response you got. There is NEVER any indication that the "person" responding ever actually read your ad.

Stuff like calling it the "item" no matter how many times your ad says "can opener" or whatever it is. Often, it will ask for a description of your "item" no matter how well you described it, or asking for a picture even though your ad had ten!

I once had a crappy set of beaten factory rims with tires off my old '94 Explorer on there for maybe $60 or whatever it was. I got a response like the above, that suggested he was buying my "item" as a gift for a relative- and they were both overseas! F* off!

r_chez_08

Should be in the shop...
Reaction score
Sounds like bs to me. There is no way that if I was him I would trust someone with that much money, if sent by an insecure method like a check. So either they are completely ignorant or a scammer.

crazyman

Reaction score
Craigslist does work if you weed out the scammers though. I sold a truck toolbox earlier this week and a guy just left my house that is interested in my Geo Metro parts.

I agree. You have to analyze how thier email response sounds. Be careful, be smart, and don't give up too easily.

HaM551

Reaction score
yeah its a scam, i got emailed about an ad on gumtree, but what they do is send you a fake receipt through Paypal so it looks like you have received the money, but you are not allowed to withdraw the money until u have paid shipping. And that's where they take your money. So that extra 45 dollars is for "shipping"

fowler

Reaction score
ha my freind got this recently

trying to sell a holden vl calais

got told to put it on a ship to sinapore and he would send a check though the post

i never give bank details out over the phone or internet
all though paypal

i only give info if i write it down on a peice of paper and give it to the bloke personally

when did info writen on paper for the world to see become safer than dealing though private and apparently secure site
i personally rate scammers as some of the lowest most waste of space scum
a few of my grandmas freinds lost all there money during the financial crisis
there super fund was crashing and lowen behold someone said "here ill look after it for u in my new extra safe fund"
never saw the guy or the money again

Bluethunder3320

Reaction score
whenever i had my email on craigslist i got these all the time. just put your phone number and you probably wont get scams.

i always put my phone number like 123-456-seven eight nine ten

newrider3

Reaction score
a guy just left my house that is interested in my Geo Metro parts.

If he really wants them, he would have left with them. That's the biggest thing that pisses me off with CL, is the people who have to 'think about it' or go 'ask their wife'. It would be easier if they would just say they were expecting a gold plated whatever rather than the used item that I was clearly listing and just say they aren't interested, rather than beat around the bush.

gvfc2

wishing i was living
Reaction score
if they say they will pay by paypal or check or bank check dont trust em. if they cant meet you in person its a scam. noone will ever pay you more than what your listing it as. they will try to talk you down.

if you get an email saying "paypal" or "bank check" just add it to spam list

HaM551

Reaction score
if they say they will pay by paypal or check or bank check dont trust em. if they cant meet you in person its a scam. noone will ever pay you more than what your listing it as. they will try to talk you down.

if you get an email saying "paypal" or "bank check" just add it to spam list

the $45 is for shipping, so essentially, you end up giving them $45

supermanotorious

Winchmaster 5000
Reaction score
I do a ton of business on CL, this is the most common scam, I believe these guys are overseas so I have no problem giving them my name and address and let them send me via overnight delivery, a fraudulent check, then I don't respond and they'll email me to ask if I got it, I reply and say I did but my dog ate it, please send another, they leave me alone at that point, IMO I'm wearing them down and wasting their time and resources, here is one of their checks

plus if you weren't sure, you could always walk the check (in this case) to Mellon Bank and attempt to cash, this way you avoid bouncing it in your personal account, BTW, the item in question on this deal, only $75

the other scam is the Paypal deal, they'll ask for your Paypal email, which I gladly give them, then they say its been paid and I get a fake confirmation from Paypal, I simply take a screen shot of my Paypal app on my iPhone, email it to them and use some colorful language telling them about what type of scammers they are

So i received an identical looking dirt bike to mine from a friend who said he no longer wanted it, and to sell it and split the money with him. i put the ad up for around 500 and got an email just a day later, i just got this email and i think its a scam, what about you guys?

Hello,
Thanks you so much for the quick reply to my email. I will purchase
the item from you and will be adding $45 extra for the item asking
price,so please kindlywithdraw the advert from CRAIGSLIST and i will
be paying you via bank certified check from my Bank and the payment
will be delivered to you via Fedex next-day and i will like you to get
back to me with the following information to facilitate the mailing
out the check to you... .I will need the below details to mail the
payment as soon as possible.

Name to be on the Check
Home or office address(No P.O.BOX)___
City__State__Zip Code_______________
Phone Numbers_____________________

FYI:You will not be responsible for the shipping of the item..and I
will have my mover come over for the pick up as soon as you have the
check cashed at your bank,and i will get back to you once my secretary
made the payment out to you immediately.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 17
Status
Not open for further replies.