Comet 30 Driven Spring Tension & Top Speed

SquidBonez

Reaction score
I have a question about Comet 30 driven clutch tuning and how it effects top speed. I know you can change the spring hole for the driven engagement on the 30 series CVTs (1 being for flat ground, 2 being factory and 3 being off-road) as well as swap the stock green spring for a stiffer yellow spring. Going up a hole or swapping to a stiffer spring increases engagement RPM and holds the CVT in a lower gear for longer, which increases bottom end torque. But does this in turn limit top speed just like a lower gear ratio would (more torque but less speed)? Why wouldn't you always swap to a yellow spring in the #3 hole for good bottom end if it didn't effect your top speed?

I remember reading something about the limitation being that your engine may not be powerful enough to fully shift out if you swap to a yellow spring in the 3rd hole, which would then limit your top speed of course. But assuming you're running a fully built Predator with a Juggernaut driver (or an otherwise adequately powerful setup) to fully shift-out with a yellow spring in the 3rd hole, is there any reason NOT to get the stiffer spring/change the hole? I would assume that doing so would allow you to get the best possible bottom end torque/acceleration while still maintaining a high top speed.