Comet 20 vs. 40

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kentguy13

Reaction score
Well... I know a few of you told me I couldn't use a Comet 20 series on my 18 hp twin due to belt problems. I'm going to say your RIGHT! The problem I am running across is not that its destroying my belt, but rather it is not disengaging the system. I was doing a little research on comets spec pages, and the 20 series has a minimum engagement speed of 1200 rpms, and the 40 series min speed is 1600 rpms. I have been searching for an hour now for the idle speed of my briggs twin (18hp, model: 422437-0721-01), but no luck. I am assuming however that the idle speed is higher than 1200 rpms which is the reason the 20 series I have on it will not disengage. Does this sound reasonable? I guess I'm gonna have to shell out the cash for the 40 series.

GreyhoundOfYerfDogs

Reaction score
There should be an idle speed adjustment you could turn down, at least to test. If not, try choking the engine to lower the RPM to test.
Also, make sure your pulleys are aligned, and that your center to center distance from crank to jackshaft isn't too long.

Kentguy13

Reaction score
Thanks for the input... I've already done that. I turned the idle down and was able to get it to disengage, but it was so low the engine wouldn't stay running. That is what leads me to believe that it is not meant to be. :) I may have a 1" bore comet 20 series for sale real soon. haha. What are those selling for these days?

Status
Not open for further replies.