Clutch vs Torque Converter - Deciding whats best for you

Status
Not open for further replies.

anderkart

Reaction score
Lots of guys on this forum constantly claim a Torque converter is always better than any Centrifugal clutch.

That's not always true...

Yes I agree Torque Converters do offer better acceleration, and also allow many karts to be geared for a higher top speed potential.

Torque converters are also a much better choice for most any kart that will be doing a lot of low-speed/stop and go type riding.

They're also a much better choice for Off-road karts that will be climbing steep hills & mountains.

But... you'll hardly ever see Torque Converters used In most any forms of kart racing. Its not because those racekart guys are trying to save money or dont know how to instal a T/C. The reason is a Centrifugal (or disk type) clutch would almost always turn faster lap times. The only exceptions to this would be off-road/Trophy racekarts, or small tracks with lots of tight/low-speed corners.

_______

The reason for this is Torque Converter belts are constantly under tension unless the engine is Idling, this belt tension causes friction. This friction slightly lowers rear-wheel horse power compared to Engine horsepower.

A properly adjusted chain used on a Centrifugal clutch doesn't have this tension/friction issue, so more of the engines power Is transmitted to the ground.

I realise lots of karts experience problems with their Centrifugal clutches overheating, slipping and giving poor acceleration. But many of those problems were simply caused by Improper gearing, lack of lubricating the clutches bushing (or bearing), and/or selecting one of the lower-quality/priced Centrifugal clutch brands/models.

There's lots of very high quality Centrifugal/Disk clutches avalible In the same price ranges of what a Comet Tav2, 30 or 40-series would cost. Those more expensive Centrifugal clutches are made for racekarts, many of them can hold up for years with up to 50hp engines with 4:1 gear ratio's & using 11" tall rear tires. There's also parts avalible to repair most of these racing clutches, so you dont have to buy a whole new one if they ever develop a problem.

_______

I just thought I'd try to clear a few misconceptions up, Its just not fair to compare a $39 Centrifugal clutch against a $169 Comet T/C. They can both be a very good choice for some applications, but T/C's are not always a better choice for every single kart and budget.

A $169 3/4" bore centrifugal clutch designed for racing would hold up under way more horse power than a 30-series Comet Tav-2... The same is true of the $350/1"-bore racing clutches compared to a 40-series converter system.

There's some 3/4" bore centrifugal race-clutches avalible in the $80 price range, that I feel are much higher quality than the more common $39-$59 models that most funkart owners select and end up having problems with.

The same is true for 1" bore centrifugal clutches, a $160 race clutch model would way outperform the lowest price 1" model (Comet 400-series) that's avalible for around $80.

_______

If you choose to use any Centrifugal clutch, the best way to make it last longer is by getting the kart right up to the speed where you can feel/hear the clutch is no longer slipping. Constant low-speed/stop & go type riding will kill most any centrifugal clutch!

buddyochoa

Not Senior Yet
Reaction score
I feel for my application, around 18hp engine on an off road style cart in the mountains of Tennessee, that a torque converter would perform better. There are a lot of sharp turns and steep hills that I think would burn out a clutch rather quickly.

Nodroz

Reaction score
Well written! I hope people will have a read here first, before asking the difference and what they should do.

Sticky?

jman231994

Reaction score
I completely agree with you anderkart. But for most of the people that are on here asking questions, a TC would be better because of where they ride it.

I agree with stickying it too. I think if you added a small section on how the two work it would be perfect

r_chez_08

Should be in the shop...
Reaction score
Thanks for that.
I think a torque converter would always be better on my kart. Offroad, drifting, lots of corners etc. However, I can see tha a centrifugal or disc clutch is often a good choice if you just ride on asphalt.

valg

Reaction score
This is a very helpful post but i am looking into making a race-ish go kart to run whit my friend on his 125 race-kart. To be able to have a competitive kart i need some power, i have the tec to do some mod to a engine like porting an stuff but i don't know what clutch to get, i understand that the maxtorque ones are pretty good but are they good enough?

jhuskers

Reaction score
I've got a go-kart/dunebuggy with 14 inch rear tires. I bought a 30 series clone torq converter for my 13 hp clone engine(the engine has done great!!) I have had 2 belts burn in 2 uses so ive decided that i need the 40 series. Ive also learned on the forum that I will need to add a jackshaft to install the 40 series, correct? Since I am adding a jackshaft either way, would it be best if i use a centrifigal clutch with gear ratio system or use the 40 series torq converter?

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
For your application, you must use the 40 series, and yes, you'll need a jackshaft assembly. Whoever told you that a 30 series was going to tolerate 13hp, was misinformed, or intended to mislead you. That said, watch your gear ratio. Even a tough CVT can have problems with an inappropriate final drive ratio.

jhuskers

Reaction score
Thanks for the help!! What are factors do I need to know for the final drive ratio? Also what is your opinion on the off brand 40 series torque converter?

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
No great magic for the overall ratio. The 40 (and clones) boast a 1:1 high range. For the sake of simplicity, calculate gearing as if the CVT doesn't exist. You won't go wrong like that.

anderkart

Reaction score
Thanks for the help!! What are factors do I need to know for the final drive ratio? Also what is your opinion on the off brand 40 series torque converter?

I've never used any of the 'off-brand' converters, so I wont coment on those...

But you'll find some good gear-ratio info in these threads:
http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5438
http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=9591
http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=10036

Choosing the best gear ratio for your kart is a very complicated subject; It depends on your kart, rear tire diameter, the riders (& passengers?) weight, your riding locations/conditions and your desires between achieving the best acceleration, OR the highest possible top speed.

Sometimes you have to start-out by making the best educated guess you can when selecting your gearing, then you'll end up making final changes after you've actually had a chance to ride the kart for awhile and see how it all works out for you and your kart.

jhuskers

Reaction score
Heres a couple pictures of my kart. One passenger, 16" rear wheels, light weight, some offroad and some street, and halfway between fast accelaration and top speed. i am thinking 3:1 but i don't know for sure.

Attachments

• IMAG0117.jpg
    IMAG0117.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 127
  • IMAG0114.jpg
    IMAG0114.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 109

anderkart

Reaction score
With 16" rear tires and your kart, I think 3:1 is way too extreme; unless your planning on doing something like competing at the Bonneville salt flats.

I'd suggest more like a 6:1 ratio. (or possibly 5:1) Then If you wanted a higher top speed, you could always do some engine mods for additional rpm; like removing your engines governor.

One of the cool things about running a Torque Converter is: Its fairly easy (low-cost) to swap-out/try a few different jackshaft-output gears.

So for example; you could buy 2 or 3 gears and have a good ratio for extreme-acceleration/very-steep hill climbing: (7:1)

General-purpose riding: (6:1)

Or re-gear for absolute top speeds when riding at large open spaces w/flat terrain only, (like maybe you could tryout something in the 4:5/5:1 range, and see if your TC belt survives, and if your engine will fully rev to its potential rpm, or not).

JasonT

Alittlecommensense
Reaction score
Hey all I am a newbie at this forum and quite frankly a newbie at messing around with engines. I have already found this site incredibly helpful. So Thanks first and foremost! I have a Subaru robin 6hp on my sons go kart but the clutch is about to go out. I'm thinking of going to a torque converter but what other parts will I have to buy to make this conversion

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey all I am a newbie at this forum and quite frankly a newbie at messing around with engines. I have already found this site incredibly helpful. So Thanks first and foremost! I have a Subaru robin 6hp on my sons go kart but the clutch is about to go out. I'm thinking of going to a torque converter but what other parts will I have to buy to make this conversion

:welcome2: to the forum Jason. Start a new thread for yourself in the engine section and ask away. You will get more response that way. To start a new thread, go to the section you want to post in, and then at the top left you will see a button that says "New Thread".

anderkart

Reaction score

Welcome to DIY Jason :thumbsup:

The Comet Torq-A-Verter is a complete kit.
This online shop has them at a good price: http://www.mfgsupply.com/gomini/gomi...tav30kits.html

It would most-likely come with everything you need to bolt it on, then you'd probably need to shorten your chain. You'd just need to double check your engines output shaft diamiter, (I think yours is the 3/4"size, not 1") and then also be sure to order the kit to match the chain-size/pitch of your karts axle sprocket.

Most karts use #35 or the #40/41 chain and sprocket pitch/size. You could measure the distance between 2-teeth on your axle sprocket to order the corect kit:
3/8" = is the #35 pitch
1/2" = #40/41.

Here's a chart with more chain pitch sizing info:
(you can click on the pic to veiw a larger Image)

Attachments

• chain sizes.jpg
    chain sizes.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 90

smu1290

Reaction score
I am new to this forum and I hope Iam posting im the right area.
I have a old murry go kart with a 6.5hp tucumson engine with a 3/4 output shaft. I believe it has a jackshaft, but im not sure that what i think isa jackshaft isactually a jackshaft. Please read and let me know if im right.
The clutch sprocket is 10, jackshaft input is 25. The output is 10 to axel 35. According to the ratio equation its 9.6:1, I think. It has 16 in rear tires. Currently drive on packed sand and road but wish to drive off road on loose sand up and down hills.

I just bought a clone 11hp engine with a 1in output shaft from harbor freight. I figure I have to change out the clutch for a 1in. For my desired driving would it be better to convert it to a torque converter or stay with the centrifigul clutch? If I switch how hard is it to switch? What type should I get?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.