Clutch removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard III

Reaction score
I got a new engine for my go-cart for christmas and I'm in the process of putting it on. I'm stuck at removing the centrifugal clutch from the old engine so I can install it on the new engine. The old engine is a tired tecumsah 5hp or so and I am replacing it with 6.5 hp one. Can anyone help me on how to remove the clutch? I tried a wedge between the clutch adn the engine and it wouldn't budge. Is it just held on by friction? There is a threaded hole in the end of the output shaft on the old engine but nothing in the hole. Is there any trick to removing it?

Thanks!

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There's often a snap ring that holds the clutch on. Got a pic?

If there's a ring, open the ring up and pull it off. THen the clutch should slide right off. If you've already done this, then just apply elbow grease.

Richard III

Reaction score
I think I am going to have to buy a new clutch because I later found out that thier is one or two set screws holding the clutch to the shaft, usually you would have to take out the set screws but I cant because the person who had the old engine before me welded the clutch because it broke in doing this they covered up the set screws. So I think I am going to get a new clutch.

Thanks

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
ahh, yes some have set screws, too. You could drill them out and then re-tap them, too.

grandam88

Reaction score
set screws

it would be kinda hard to reomove set screws when theres weld on them, yes a new clutch would be a good idea. cheap too

Richard III

Reaction score
I decided rather than try and dig the set screws out from benethe the welds, just to order a new clutch.

Thanks Everyone for your Input

Richard III

Reaction score
I Got Some Pics

I finnally got some Pictures

The first four pictures you might be able to see the welds I was talking on the clutch preventing me from removing the set screw holding on the clutch to the shaft.

The last Picture shows the shoes of the clutch.

Attachments

• SD530410.jpg
    SD530410.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 38
  • SD530399.jpg
    SD530399.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 50
  • SD530407.jpg
    SD530407.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 37
  • SD530408.jpg
    SD530408.jpg